Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 Mustang Coupe that needs a new frame. How many man hours am I looking at if I do this with a buddy of mine who has a lot of welding experience? Is there a really good place for me to pick these rails up at? Are there any tips or suggestions that would make this easier on us? Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks. -BeerMan

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I hope you got a lot of beer, LOL. My suggestion would be to use this car for parts and find another one to complete. Buying all those subframe parts is mucho bucks. You can get a parted out skeleton cheaper. Just the rail pieces comes to over $700 but it never ends there. At any rate, I get all this kind of stuff from my favorite old mustang car mail order place which is National Parts Depot(sheesh, I should get paid for these, LOL).

You can see my 65 fastback at: http://hottarod.stangnet.com/
http://members.aol.com/macstang/Gifs/macstang3.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Using it as a parts car is not an option. My girlfriend gave it to me and it has some sentimental value attached to it. I know the price for rails will be high but I hope to make up for it by doing it all myself.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess it depends on how much of the frame needs to be replaced. And seeing as the car employs unitary construction, there is no distinct division between frame and body.

My car needs some floors, trunk floor, rear shackle pick-up and rocker panels. I'm thinking of getting a clean, western donor car for these parts. Plus I can add newer shock towers, torque boxes and some other things. In my case I think it will pay off. You'll have to add up the costs to know for sure.

Ollie

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
what rail do you need and where are you located?? i have some super nice ones already out,, still hooked to torque boxes,,but I would seriously look at you and your friends ability before starting this,,you need to build a jig or a fixture so that the car is square and plumb when finished

Robbie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts