Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Frankie's Garage - Restoration of a 1967 S-Code Fastback

12883 179
After restoring cars for the past 6 years in my home garage, the wife finally put her foot down and made me move the shop to a real shop. She was tired of me tracking oil, gas, dirt and the smell of the bolt and nut blaster all over the house. This restoration is my first Mustang and it is a 1967 S-Code.

I purchased the car in late November 2021. It's a roller and I have sourced a date correct 390 and 4-speed top loader. I will document my journey on this thread and will undoubtedly need some solid help, recommendations and constructive criticism along the way.

Like most Mustangs, this car suffers from the usual rust suspects - floor, doors, battery apron, cowl, firewall and right side of trunk floor. This car looks to have been parked outside for an extended period of time with no front or rear window and then someone put it inside for another period of time. The entire cowl, firewall and dash frame are rusted out.

Attached are pictures of what I have to work with.
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Sky Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Attachments

121 - 140 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Looking good, bet it definitely feels good making steady progress.
Thanks. I’m excited as today I took it off the Rotisserie. Time to dry fit everything. Then block car and paint it!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Mach 1 Drag Pack (W code)
96 Posts
Man, your flying along on this.
Really nice work.
Makes me feel like I'm standing still with mine.

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Man, your flying along on this.
Really nice work.
Makes me feel like I'm standing still with mine.
Thanks. I had a setback today. The LH door shell I bought from CJ Pony had a strange wave/dent on the end of the panel. The side that faces the fender. Have to send it back and get replacement. It does feel good to get all the metal work done.

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Driver side fender is fit. Also fit the old stock headlight. The gap between door and fender is a bit big. Also, the bottom left of door is not in line with fender by about 1/8 inch. So going to need to work on these items before paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 · (Edited)
Finally an update. With all the graduation parties every weekend, finally finished the dry fit. Hood was a pain. Was able to get it very close. Completed dry and wet sanding of the doors, roof and rear. Was able to shoot the interior Nightmist Blue with just one light coat. Will put a second coat inside trunk. next up is to now sand exterior 600 grit one more time and then tack and put down 3 coats of the base Nightmist Blue.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Steering part

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
Just a quick add to my door story. So I shipped the door back to CJ Pony. The promptly shipped me a new door, but they sent the wrong door. They then promptly shipped me the correct door, and this door had a small dent in it from shipping. Instead of sending this one back, I worked the small dent out and blocked it level. I did contact CJ and they nicely refunded me 50% of the cost of the door.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Wood

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
That's looking really good. Bet when all the wet sanding and polishing gets done it's gonna look outstanding in the sun.
Thanks. It’s hard to tell in the shop. The lighting does not show the true color. Can’t wait to see it outside.

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
All buffed. I will do a much more detailed buffing when the car is nearing completion. I used the liquid ice finishing system from Eastwood. It’s the second car I have used it on. I like it, but the white residue is hard to get out of deep corners and crevices.
Finger Art Wood Tints and shades Thumb

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Has been a couple weeks since I posted. Still working on the painting. Have everything now painted and removing all orange peel. I need to sand down the clear on the trunk lid and re-spray. For some reason, parts of the lid did not cure properly.
Building Chair Floor Wood Flooring

121 - 140 of 180 Posts