Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Frankie's Garage - Restoration of a 1967 S-Code Fastback

12881 179
After restoring cars for the past 6 years in my home garage, the wife finally put her foot down and made me move the shop to a real shop. She was tired of me tracking oil, gas, dirt and the smell of the bolt and nut blaster all over the house. This restoration is my first Mustang and it is a 1967 S-Code.

I purchased the car in late November 2021. It's a roller and I have sourced a date correct 390 and 4-speed top loader. I will document my journey on this thread and will undoubtedly need some solid help, recommendations and constructive criticism along the way.

Like most Mustangs, this car suffers from the usual rust suspects - floor, doors, battery apron, cowl, firewall and right side of trunk floor. This car looks to have been parked outside for an extended period of time with no front or rear window and then someone put it inside for another period of time. The entire cowl, firewall and dash frame are rusted out.

Attached are pictures of what I have to work with.
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Sky Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Attachments

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 · (Edited)
I removed scratches from the original door glass. I highly recommend the product in the pictures. If you follow the directions, you can remove most small and medium scratches from glass. I did not have any deep scratches. Glass looks new now. You do not want to sand over the ford stamp on the glass or it will remove it.
Product Font Pattern Electric blue Rectangle

Textile Sleeve Gesture Denim Grey

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
On to the next phase of the project. Time to lay down some paint. Putting up the 12x20 paint booth that I made out of 3/4 inch pvc pipe and 6 mil clear construction cover. Cost at Lowes of $270. I put in a air intake filter in one corner and have an air extract system that vents out a window.

Wow, such a cool project. How'd you filter your inlet? How's your air extractor system work? I need to come up with one.

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Wow, such a cool project. How'd you filter your inlet? How's your air extractor system work? I need to come up with one.
Hi- I had a filter for inbound air and I had a filter on the extractor. I purchased a construction air extractor that has a 12” hose that I vented out a side window in the shop. Was not perfect, but did work very well. I had very few issues with the base coat. The clear coat did require a bit more sanding work.

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Putting in the QA1 front coil over single adjustable shocks. Note that they say direct bolt in, but the export braces needed some grinding to make the top sit flush. For the most part, they did fit right in. The carriage bolts needed to also be ground down to fit in the slots that hood the top down.

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Installed over head console brackets and insulation. Also did the headliner dry fit and will glue it up in a few days. New door tag.

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Made a big problem today. Was drilling holes for the front over head bracket. When the drill bit punched through the cross member it hit the underside of hood and put a small divot in the roof. Need to now sand the small divot down, paint the small area, blend it in and shoot the roof again with clear coat.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Man sorry to hear about that, you may want to look into a set of these:

Aluminum Stop Collar Set - Drill Bit Depth Stop - Superior Split Ring Design - 8 Piece Set (1/2", 7/16”, 3/8”, 5/16”, ¼”, 7/32”, 3/16”, 1/8”) - Drill Bit Holder https://a.co/d/aaPlvpK

The split ring style is much better than the ones with a single set screw, they like to walk up the bit.

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Man sorry to hear about that, you may want to look into a set of these:

Aluminum Stop Collar Set - Drill Bit Depth Stop - Superior Split Ring Design - 8 Piece Set (1/2", 7/16”, 3/8”, 5/16”, ¼”, 7/32”, 3/16”, 1/8”) - Drill Bit Holder https://a.co/d/aaPlvpK

The split ring style is much better than the ones with a single set screw, they like to walk up the bit.
Oh man that would have saved me. I will definitely pick up a set.

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Starting to fix my epic screw up. Heated up the two divots and lightly tapped them down. Then hand sanded. Ready to now spay a light coat of epoxy primer, then sand, then paint and then put a coat of clear over the top again. What a pain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,707 Posts
Step drill bits are great for sheet metal holes like this as they don't pull the bit if there is a burr.

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Well, 6 hours of work later and the roof issue is fixed. It’s not perfect. There is some blending of the clear that still needs to be sanded a bit more. It looks like very light orange peal. I decided to leave it for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Ok, so this was not that fun, but it is done. Had to get a back message after…… For some reason the front rod spun sideways so I don’t have the dimple near the drip rail. I tried to reposition it, but it will not stay in the up position. Any recommendations?

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 S-Code Fastback
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Front Wilwood brakes are in. Waiting on FedEx to deliver the rear kit. Also going Wilwood with the integrated parking brake for rear set.

Attachments

161 - 180 of 180 Posts