Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm undecided as to what to do with my new mustang - an incomplete and rusty '66 coupe (originally a 6 cyl car).

First, I thought it would make the perfect platform for a track car. I would not worry too much about the body being perfect. I'd get a passable paint job and concentrate on good suspension, brakes, and hopefully add a 351W. My rough estimates are that the W would cost me $3000-4000, plus another $1000 for tranny, and another $1000 for suspension upgrades. All of a sudden, I'm seeing having $7000-8000 tied up in the car....../forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

So I started thinking maybe I should restomod it with a donor 5.0 motor. A contact who's done that leads me to believe that a donor 5.0 mustang would cost $1500-2000, and then I'd need another $1000 or more to get everything together and right. Still, around $3000 of investment before any suspension.

Which leads me to my last option, and what's got me in a quandry....I could just rebuild a 289 (I have a rebuildable one lined up), add a C4, and transplant the V8 suspension from a donor car. All of that would probably cost me $1500-2000. That's much more in line with my budget these days. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

The last option is the least expensive, and that appeals. Also, a driver coupe would get more overall, year-round use than a track/race car.....

I know speed costs money, so I'm not complaining about that. Just wondering what the collective wealth of knowledge here at the VMF would do if you were in my shoes.....Thanks - Dickson

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'd do a restomod with Granada fronts and rear disks, 302/5.0 transplant, chassis stiffening in the engine compartment/subframes, T-5 with an retro handle, vintage interior, paint and sheetmetal. A sleeper, until you open the hood.

Or give it to that nice guy in New Orleans /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Thats the age old question for those who realize the reality.......when youre done with a car, it'll end up costing at least 6000 (basically what you can buy a complete nice pony for)

Here's my 2 cents...

For me, next shell I buy that isn't a donor for my current cars will be one with a nice body with good paint (that is nearly half the cost right there!)

The three saving graces with building a car that needs everything are;

1. Everything is in really good condition when I'm done (I know how the engine is built, for example)

2. I can put small amounts of that 6000 towards the car as my budget allows.

3. I BUILT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
That "Budget" thing always gets in the way.

Perhaps the most economical way to get a 289 driver is to sell the I6 car ($1,000?) and find one for $3,500 or so. By the time you rebuild the engine, swap front end parts and a rear end, you will easily plug more than $2,500 into the car.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Sell it and buy a rust free V8 car, having a rust free car alone will save you $$$. Depending on the amount of rust, you might be looking at new floors, frame rails, etc. Plus labor.

G

·
0 Posts
If it were me, I'd take the path of least resistance, some of what you want, some of what you can afford. Restomods as well as restorations are time & money consuming. I'm on my 22nd year of my Cyclone Spoiler collecting parts & I'm still $10K away from taking it apart, Mustangs are less expensive. Wish someone would drop a '65/66 in on me, I have a Vortec "S" trim,TFS headed 347 from a '94 Cobra looking to be my next 8 second ride... just can't seem to be able to afford a good donor car. Do what makes you happy, you're the one that has to drive it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts