Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a friend of mine last night, and his son just got a free 67 fastback, from his uncle, he even trailered it all the way up to Idaho from Florida for him. Sound like it's got a 289/3spd, PS, and disc brakes. But you know what happens to cars on the coast, it needs a lot of work. I was thinking why won't anyone one give me a free classic car, then I remembered thats how I got my 67 from my mother......for free...well sort of free, I helped her help my sister out of a tough spot, so she let me have the car in exchange. Anyone else get there car for free? ;)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
A gave away a 68 coupe that I bought for $500.00 to my sister, still running good.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
When my Gran mom passed about 18 years ago, she left me a 72 Buick LaSabre. It was rough from sitting outside it's whole life, but only had 65k on it.
It was not worth restoring, so I used the engine put it into a 79 Cutlass I was working on. That car freakin' flew!

·
Registered
781 Posts
A high school buddy of mine was given a 69 Mach I by his mother back in 1974. It only had 20,000 miles on it when he got it. It was like brand new. By the time he was done with it he had smashed every panel on the car. Changed the engine oil (not machnically inclined at all) and forgot to put oil it, frooze the engine and call the bone yard to come and get it. What a shame. He wrecked every car he had after that. Too much alcohol isn't good on cars.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Several years ago I was offered my grandmother's '67 Plymouth Fury III four door. It needed a lot of work and I had no money at the time, so I turned it down. One of my better decisions, I think.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I got a 77 Dodge Aspen from my mom when I was 15. Did the body work and paint the months before I turned 16 and one of the first times I had it out my step dad ran into me and crashed my new body work. Didn't ruin the car, but bondo when flying. :( Was a great car. Good ol 225 slant 6. (Grandpa bought it with 3x,xxx miles, gave it to my mom, mom gave it to her sister, she gave it to her kids for college and then back to my mom, then to me. whew..got all that?)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I got my Wildcat for free. Me and a frend started working on it, went together on the Lesabre for parts, lost storage for both and told me 'you want them both, come get them or they go to auction'. So, I went to get them. Then just last weekend, I was at a family reuinion, talking with one of my uncles anout this tough old truck he had, couldn't be stopped, but he needed an engine for one of his grain trucks so he pulled the one out of this one. A 68 International Harvister 1200 4x4, told me 'you want it, its yours'. So now I have to drag that thing home, not a bad truck 41,000 miles on it, just have to find an IH engine. :p

K

·
0 Posts
Back when I was in high school a co-worker of my dad's had a old Corvair, didn't run. Dragged it to my HS for auto shop class. Took the engine out and apart. Thing was rusted inside the cylinders. I had no money for such a job so left it to the Auto Shop Class to play with. It was still there way back in '72. Some guys rolled a tire or two into the Chicago River which was behind the school. ::

·
Registered
758 Posts
My parents bought my '68 new - only the second car I have any memories of, and the one I grew up with, learned to drive in, etc. My mother drove it from new until she died in 1993. I've had it ever since.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Many of you are familiar with how I stop and ask about a lot of cars. Well I've been doing that for years. One day I saw a 1971 Buick Skylark "sun coupe" in a back yard with some leaves on it. When I stopped to ask about it the woman of the house was on her way out of the house and said "I don't have time right now to talk to you but if that car is out of my yard by the time I get home tonight you can have it. Keys are in it." Off she drove. I didn't know if she was serious or not. I sat there looking over the car for about an hour trying to decide if I should really "take it" or not. It was Gold with a buckskin interior, buckets, console, Horseshoe shifter, buick rally wheels, 350 auto, and a really cool factory sunroof that unlatched and folded back like a convertible top! I decided what the hell, I'm going to go for it and if somebody accuses me of stealing it I'll just tell them the story of what the lady said. I went and got a battery from sears, plopped it in and it started right up. I drove it home and just waited until later that day. I went back about 6:00PM and knocked on the door. The woman answered and said "I see you got the car. Here is the title", threw it out the door and slammed the door. It was signed off by her and the VIN# matched! I got the car for free!! I drove it around for a few months during that summer and was offered $1,800 for it so I sold it! That was a lot of $$ back then. (around 1985) I've gotten other cars for free, but that was the nicest. The others were barely parts cars here and there. I keep wondering if another free car is in my future though as many as I ask about! ::

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My dad bought me the Stang back in 2000/2001. I was either a freshman or sophmore in high school, cant remember. It took a LONG time before the car was able to actually see the road though (about 3 months ago).

·
Registered
613 Posts
I got my grandmother 64 Belvedere when I turned 16 (in '83). I still miss that car with the push button gears....

·
Registered
454 Posts
A couple of years ago, a co-worker of my wife gave us a '67 Mustang coupe they had bought for their son. He didn't want it and they wanted it out of their yard. Called a buddy who owns a towing service and got the car home for free. Unfortunately, after tearing into it I discovered the car wasn't worth much of anything except parts. It had a '78 low-comp 302 in it, but the car was orignally an I-6 car and the PO who did the swap hadn't changed any of the suspension or rear. The car had been hit hard in the front at some point and the front frame was tweaked about 3/4", the floors looked like a Flintstone mobile and the vinyl top had turned the roof into swiss cheese (massive rust).
Took all the good parts off the poor girl and then hauled it to the nearest metal scrapper. But for free, I still made some decent cash on the parts.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
My first car was a 68 coupe which my Dad paid $100 for from the original owner and I never paid him back for it so my first car was free.
Over the years people have offered several cars to me for nothing such as: a Chevette, mid 80's Accord, 69 F250 $1, 76 Caprice (Grandma's car) and I think there was another one but I can't remember what it was.

It's always nice to get a free car as long as it's not so bad that you can't do anything with it.
I'm still waiting on that Boss 302 that someone doesn't want... LOL

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
I got both of my 68s for free. Of course, I've put a whole heck of a lot of money into them since then. ::

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Right after High school my Uncle was killed in a car crash. He was restoring a 50 Mercury 2door sled. He had 2 sons that wanted nothing to do with it. My Aunt told me when she straightened his affairs out, it was mine for free, just come and get it. It was complete with 2 sets of chrome. Then somebody at her job told her it was worth some $$ and she sold it. No big deal, except she didn't tell me until I came to pick it up ::

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
My dad gave me my '68 about two years ago. I know he was the second owner and can never remember a time when it was not in one of our garages. He drove it for a while and it was stolen and recovered, it then went into hibernation for about 5 years, we moved it was resurrected and driven once in 1984, then back it went into hibernation. I t was always an understanding it would be mine whne he passed away, luckily i get the best f both worlds, the car and my dad. He seems to be more into it now, he visits my cardomain web site all the time and makes suggestions. I felt bad at first because I sold a lot of the stuff he liked and put on the car way back when on Ebay and bouhgt stuff I liked. He gave me the car earlier because I was pissed at him for selling a 427 side oiler engine that he used to race in the early/mid 60's, my whole life it was on an engine stand then he up and sold it to some guy he met at a junkyard. He said he never thought I would do anything with it. But I got the car!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I family friend just gave me this sixer convertible :: :: ::

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/483984/FTRTQ-IMG_0056_5_1.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/483984/WRIRF-IMG_0057_6_1.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/483984/OQJNS-IMG_0058_7_1.JPG

Great thing is, other than the glassed-over cowl, I think all of the major rust is gone. But it sure needs some paint, reassembly, and TLC !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts