Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am cleaning my engine for a repaint and i noticed that two of the Freeze plugs are rusty and possibly leaking. How do you replace these things?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can simply poke a hole in the rusty one and pry it out.
Then get a new replacement and tap it in.
If it is in a bad spot where you can't get to it easily, they have expandable ones that are easier to install in tight spaces.

G

·
I like to use a bit of sealer around the outside of the plug before I install it. Make sure you install it "squarely" in the bore. A socket can be of help here. HTH

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Use something with a broad tip--a screwdriver is apt to punch through the plug--to hammer on the edge of the plug, rotating it into the hole. Once it's rotated in, grab the edge with pliers and pull it out. The only thing to worry about with using a socket as an installer is that the plug will close up slightly when installed. If the socket is too large, it'll be pinched inside the plug.

If the engine's out and you can get to all of them, you should replace them all.

Frank

·
Registered
708 Posts
take a socket and knock the plug inside the block. Then install using a properly sized socket taking note like above don't let it get to tight

1 - 5 of 5 Posts