Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 ranger started leaking out radiator fluid yesterday. I was thinking it was coming from the water pump so I started tearing down the front of the engine. Once I had everything off I noticed the freeze plug (right front head) had a small hole in it. My coolent is very rusty what could have caused this? I guess I should go ahead and replace all the plugs in it. I cant remember do i have to have a machine shop press in the plugs or can I do it myself? thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Saw you over on FM. Just pop the plug in, pry it out with a screwdriver, get a socket that fits good inside the new one, place a dab of silicone around it & pop it in! They make a rubber expansion plug as well, but it's a last resort. Change the coolant every 2 years with quality anti-freeze, you'll not have the rust problem.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
My coolent is very rusty what could have caused this?

Your coolant corrosion inhibitor package likely got used up before the coolant was changed...high temps of modern engines can exacerbate this condition.

You can do the changes yourself as long as you can get to the plug locations...PrairieBronze outlined the procedure well. Consider leaving the hard to get to ones for now (if not leaking) and carrying the appropriate emergency plugs in the vehicle. If you have that much rust in the coolant, be careful of flushing...it's real easy to disturb things and cause all kinds of problems, clogged radiators being amongst them...

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts