Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a 65 Fastback and considering frenching the gas cap. Vaguely remember someone producing a patch to do this but can't find the bookmark. Anyone recall the manufacturer or vendor?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I saw a patch used on a '67 FB because the gas filler was moved to the sail panel. The patch was made from another '67 tail light panel, and they just cut out a section to be used as the patch and welded it in. I've never seen a commercially available gas filler patch

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
That is for adding a Mach 1 style gas cap to the fender or the sail panel. Mustangstofear.com also sells one.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw a patch used on a '67 FB because the gas filler was moved to the sail panel. The patch was made from another '67 tail light panel, and they just cut out a section to be used as the patch and welded it in. I've never seen a commercially available gas filler patch
That is for adding a Mach 1 style gas cap to the fender or the sail panel. Mustangstofear.com also sells one.
Thanks, I'm leaning in that direction with a locking gas cap inside the flip open.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Where do you leave your car that needs the gas cap locked?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where do you leave your car that needs the gas cap locked?
Car will end up in Hawaii where I relocated to. Believe it or not there is some theft of gasoline out there. Have had vandalism to my cars in NJ as well. Last things I need is sugar in the gas tank or something like that. Planning on somehow locking hood too.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
French as in the OE recessed or nearly disappear?
How about hacking out that section from almost any modern car? Graft it on, have the remote popper for the door hidden somewhere and nothing but a round gap showing in the rear.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
French as in the OE recessed or nearly disappear?
How about hacking out that section from almost any modern car? Graft it on, have the remote popper for the door hidden somewhere and nothing but a round gap showing in the rear.
Thanks 1ofAMillion+ for the suggestion. Was considering grafting a late model like you suggested but I've turned over my restoration to a shop so I'm more sensitive to R&D and engineering hours now that I'm paying for it. Was planning on the gas capping recessed so that the front is flush to the panel.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get the vandalism angle but Mustang Gas Caps are soo cool and iconic...

Unless there is something very cool you are going to do to dress up the back, they look empty when moved...

THere has to be a better way, perhaps some kind of valve inside the trunk to close it off.
View attachment 744698
View attachment 744699
I agree with you. Was going to recess the Mach 1 Flip open style cap and use a locking cap inside and definitely keep it on the tail panel

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use this to keep my cap locked in place.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use this to keep my cap locked in place.

Thanks, that was an option I was considering and probably could combine that with a solenoid switch to activate it with a button. Hawaii like most of the US is self serve on gasoline so no big deal opening the trunk to pop the latch but if I still lived in NJ where there is full service only, would be pretty tedious at the station.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used one of these on my 70 convertible that I am resto modding.
Yogi's Fuel Filler Door Kit

Thanks for the tip. They have some cool stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts