Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find some nuts to mount the fresh air vent. Nothing seems to fit, the threads are clean and not damaged. I tried a few 1/4" -20's but no luck. Starting to wonder if the manufacturer used metric studs on the replacement panels.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just installed the air vent in my 65 yesterday. The studs are 1/4 x 20. Bigger than the originals.

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going say either 10-24 or 10-32. I think the nut size is 11/32.
Yes that looks like the original size Tom. As I started looking at the threads closer I noticed the threads were very rough on the replacement panel. They just needed to be dressed up a bit. Now that I'm starting to put things back together I realize there is lots of hardware to clean up and paint. The vent is installed so wipers are next.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,727 Posts
Yes that looks like the original size Tom. As I started looking at the threads closer I noticed the threads were very rough on the replacement panel. They just needed to be dressed up a bit. Now that I'm starting to put things back together I realize there is lots of hardware to clean up and paint. The vent is installed so wipers are next.
You are both inspiring and scaring me. I think my best bet might just be to load mine up and trailer it up, since you are going through all the pain and suffering with all this small stuff. I was getting a little overwhelmed looking at all the boxes of stuff I have to go back on mine and then realized I don't even know what all I DON'T have yet.

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it's the small stuff that bites ya. I wasted hours, driving around trying to find clips and fasteners. The local suppliers like Napa and Carquest used to stock an excellent assortment but the market for them here is dying so they have a very limited stock now. It's slow going to say the least, then throw in winter snow storms. No end to the snow this winter. Me and my bright idea to extend the driveway right around the house o_O. My wife tried to tell me I was only making work for my self ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts