Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a T5 in my '65 to find that the second gear grinds. When I shift into 2nd, it feels like the shifter goes into gear, but when I let the clutch out it grinds. I pulled the tranny back out and replaced the 2nd gear synchro, the 1-2 slider and 2nd gear, but the grinding continues. It has a brand new clutch in it that I have adjusted multiple times to see if there is a sweet spot that makes the grinding go away - no joy. It has what looks like an older Hurst shifter on it so am wondering if the shifter was worn out and has excess play, could it prevent the trans from going all the way into gear and grinding?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
Back off the stops on the Hurst shifter and see if that helps.

Did you use the 5.0 HO roller pilot bearing or the original style bronze bushing? The bushing can cause issues with a T-5. Have you verified the concentricity of the bellhousing bore to the crankshaft axis?

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Ditto on Hemikiller… My first thought was the stop. Back it off, click the shifter into 2nd, then turn it in until it just touches the lever and lock it in. Not familiar with Hurst, so I'm not sure how many stops there are. My shifter only has 2, one forward, one back. I had to adjust the 'back" one and had to make sure 2, 4, and R were all hitting the stop before I locked it in.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
The right oil is critical. My tremec ground on fast shifts till I put synchromesh in it as its supposed to have. All grinding stopped. I'm pretty sure T5s take a different oil but make sure... GIve a call to Modern Driveline, they are really good about helping you trouble shoot and are quite knowledgable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already adjusted the stops on the shifter all the way out and they had no affect.

I am currently running ATF fluid, maybe I will try the RP Synchromesh stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
T5 requires ATF fluid because if the clutch material in the synchros.

There are some great videos on rebuilding and the potential problems.

My first thought is you might have a bent fork. Or the pads on your fork are damaged/missing.

Here is the first part of th video:

Paul Cangialosi is the expert on these. He literally wrote the book on rebuilding hi performance transmissions. He sells rebuild kits as well as upgrade components. Watch the videos then call him with your problem and see what he thinks.

His website is: https://www.5speeds.com/

Reactions: 68Hildago

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Flade. I followed that exact video when I tore down the transmission to address this issue. He is a huge help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts