Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the threads on operating temps, correct thermostats and overheating over the years, I wanted to really check mine out. I brought home a thermal IR gun from work. Started the car and watched the temp rise right at the temperature sensor. Check temp, look at gauge, check temp, look at gauge. All of a sudden there was a rush of hot air coming from the radiator. Sure enough the engine temp was 190 and the thermostat had opened. Took it for a drive on the interstate, got home and temp was 206 F. Perfect. I could not remember for the life of me what thermostat was in there. Now I know.

I also checked the temp of all the wheels close to the lug nuts. I had recently changed all the brakes and wanted to make sure everything was good. The fronts were about 125-130F. The rears were ~ 110-115.

Great drive tonight. :cool:

·
Registered
631 Posts
I envy you. You must have a good "instrument grade" IR gun. Mine's a HF POS. It was even a waste of gas to buy it. Great temps you got there!

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a Flir and cost about $150. I use it at work to measure bearings and disc brakes with 36" rotors on $2,000,000 presses and other cool stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts