Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is giving me a 351W block to get it out of his way. It was in a police car, and It has the factory iron heads and factory cam. One of the cylinders needs bored, so I'm going to go ahead a bore all of them "30 over". It has no intake or carb. My questions:
1) Without reopening the great stroker debate, how much harder (and more expensive) is it to collect parts and build a 392 or 408 stroker versus a standard 351W rebuild? If I go with a stroker, do I need a forged crankshaft or is cast good enough? Looks like the main parts expense is in the new crankshaft...
2)I have an edelbrock 1405 600cfm carb on my 289. I know this can be used on the 351 (although it may be a bit "small" in the cfm department). I also have a performer 289 4V intake. Probably a stupid question, but could that intake be used on the 351W until I got something better? Would a used intake be just as good as a new one (if it were the correct type)? What type do you recommend?

I'll be collecting parts over the course of the next few months (or years, as things often go), but I want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I want a tough streetable engine that will light the tires up at will. I want to run toe-to-toe with other normally aspirated engines, including late-model Cobras and 'vettes. I don't care about gas mileage. I'll have a billion more questions by the time I finish, but the ones above should get me off and running. Thanks :)

'65 289 4V Edelbrock 1405 600CFM C-4 yada yada yada

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I don't have any answers to your ?'s, but...man, I wish one of my friends would give me a 351! That's great. Bet you didn't hesitate!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1617612&a=12349055&p=45163239&Sequence=0&res=high.jpg
[color:blue]1969 Mach 1-in restoration</font color=blue>
[color:green]I got my stang on April Fools day. I wonder if that means something....</font color=green>

G

·
0 Posts
first thing i would do is to tear that motor down and have that block magnafluxed and checked for cracks. you have to make sure it's rebuildable.
here's my 2 coppers worth on your questions-
i would buy a complete rotating mass kit instead of buying 1 by 1. it saves time and money. it generally runs $1500- $2500 for a stroker kit. make sure to have it balanced. you don't need a forged crank unless you plan on making more than 600 hp or squeezing NOS or utilizing forced induction.
for your other question, the answer is no. 289 and 351W blocks have different dimensions concerning deck height so swapping intakes isn't going to happen. using a used intake should be no problem considering there's no holes or cracks in it. i would put a victor jr. on it if you want to be making some serious power. if you're running it as a daily driver, i would go for a performer rpm.
i'm planning a 351W buildup myself. i'll be basing it off a joe sherman racing built stroker. some of the specs include 408 ci., 260/270 degrees duration @ .050, 800-cfm double pumper. it made over 543 hp and 525 lbs-ft of torque.

Rubelle
65 2+2, 289 (early A code), c/r toploader, magna suspension, centerline convo pros

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I would recommend you send a private message to camachinist if he doesn't respond. He built a 351W for his dragcar and he understands these things better than most of us. Although it sounds like fastbk65 has got these things figured out as well.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gifClick here to see free live bare topless Coppertonecam images./forums/images/icons/blush.gif
/forums/images/icons/smile.gifMy new 64 1/2 vert/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a plan. I bought the MM&FF mag a couple of months back that talked about strokers, and I think it has lists of stroker kit vendors. I don't mind buying the stroker stuff as a kit, I just want to be able to mix-and-match the cam/intake/carb. I've read that making a stroker is a bit more complicated (notching metal to give added clearance for the rotating assembly, flycutting pistons if needed, etc). I'll probably get someone else to actually put the parts together (unless I feel alot more comfortable with it by the time I get all the parts). I would guess that building a stroker requires a bit more expertise, so I guess that I'll have to find the "right" engine shop to do the work. How much more should I expect to pay if I take the forged route (crank, pushrods, etc)? A detailed spec list of that engine you mentioned would be very interesting reading... <g> I don't know how many hp I'd like to make, I just know I'd like enough to feel confident at practically any redlight I pull up to. I'm not a big fan of power-adders like nitrous, but I suppose someday there could be a fuel injection conversion and a supercharger. Anyway, thanks for the help!

'65 289 4V Edelbrock 1405 600CFM C-4 yada yada yada

G

·
0 Posts
if you want to read about that motor that i want to build, it's in a book i got at barnes & noble. it's volume 6 of the best of hot rod magazine. it's titled high performance small bock ford engines. there's a bunch of combos in there to give you an idea of what you want to build. i'm leaning towards the joe sherman motor because all i've heard about him is that he makes ungodly power out of small blocks, and they're very efficient also!

Rubelle
65 2+2, 289 (early A code), c/r toploader, magna suspension, centerline convo pros

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Short answer....standard stroke 351W with aftermarket heads..

Cop car engines are usually driven hard but maintained well....the earlier the better from the material standpoint...

W's deck is taller (engine wider) so 289 intake won't fit...

You can build a duplicate to the engine in my race car for around 3.5-4K....nice mild, reliable 400hp workhorse...

It gets my car into the mid-low 11's consistently...

Oh, if you're building a mild stroker, an offset ground factory crank is fine...those W journals are big suckers...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts