Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His brother in law left the welder when he moved, so he is selling it for him. Its Brand new. He said it is still in the box. It's a "arc" welder. I do not know how to weld but he is asking 200.00 My car is at the body shop and they are almost done welding my panels on. I wouldn't need it for that, but I noticed several small spots on the car that needed touched up. I would like to use it for that and I am going to restore a fastback after I am through with my restomod project. Would I be able to weld the panels with this welder. He refered to this as a stick welder.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
A stick welder is not for bodywork. Stick is better used for heavier structural welding.

For the unibody a MIG or TIG is much better.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i think you would be better off finding a cheep mig welder. you can pick up thouse lincoln ARC welders from wal-mart for like 250. Ive always heard of people burning through metal with arc welders, antho i have never personally used one

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I just looked at some mig welders at TSC and Walmart. I can get one for under 250.00

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Another bit of advice, do some research before you buy. For bodywork you need to use shielding gas with the wire welder, else your welds will be very ugly with splatter.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd be careful with some of the cheapo's from Walmart, Harbor Freight etc. I tried one of the 115v, 87 amp units from HF but took it back. The wire doesn't have a sleeve to run in to the gun, just in the sheath that goes to the gun. This will cause the wire to kink up and then bind up and come off the spool inside. Your best bet is the Lincoln sp-135+ or a small miller if you're going to do light welding, up to about 3/16".
I've got a big miller, but wanted a 115v unit. I bought a used Lincoln sp135+ for $250 and it works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts