Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have started work on my basket case project. A 66 cv. Car currently has no doors, 1/4's, drain gutter, tailite panel. Getting the donor doors ready, all pieces installed, new hinges, detail the front jamb area, and hang. The fenders and hood are on-soon to come off . While kind of a backward approach, figure it's good to have the doors on while 1/4's are fitted. Have never done one this far apart(someone's lost project)At least they didn't butcher edges!. Have decided to clamp and tec everything together for panel fit before welding with car on it's wheels. Want to have the decklid fitted, drain gutter on, etc. The only saving grace on this thing is good floors, t boxes, inner rockers, rear rails and trunk floors. Oh yes, the cowls are rotten! Am dealing with repop 1/4's,valances. Tail panel is NOS Ford and gutter is a rustfree orig. Any comments welcome. ::

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Peter,
Good to hear you've got another one to work on. I assume you've done cowls before...so no need to comment there. I've just finished replacing the lower cowl pan with repo hats welded in (I completely removed the lower pan to get rid of the rust on the lip). I'm gonna finish the cowl cover then complete the engine bay.....then I get to do the floors. Wish mine was as solid as yours sounds to be. That'll take me quite a while to complete. Best of luck and let's see some pics (before and after)!
Gregg

·
Registered
670 Posts
Stop now.Before you spend 25,000 on a 10,000 car.Crush this car and find a real one.People don't realize that sometimes it's just over.I don't care what you do you may be trying to make chicken salad out of chicken s--t.Stop and do an estimate.You may want to re-think your talents and efforts.I know.I restore for a living and sometimes it's just not right to "FIX" because it can not be "REPAIRED".

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For what I paid for this car and what I have in the parts, it's a definite go. Main reason for getting it was to use up parts that I had, like doors, old stock Ford hood, excellent decklid, old stock tailite panel, top, seats, trim, and on and on. All of those parts are paid off in other projects. Have been doing these things for a spell and as I said, never did one that needed this much on top. But.......would rather do this car, a C code cv, than do inner rockers, t-boxes, rails, and floors. Have done my last of those! Have had to buy 2 door glasses, and the drain gutter which was a bit high but rustfree and some other things. To date with all purchases, including car, have a very reasonable amount in it so far. Labor is not a factor as I'm retired and there's enjoyment, which goes a LONG way. Have no time deadline but am planning to put it inside within the next couple weeks. Am doing doors, now. Goal is to have it completed by spring. Hope to get some pics posted soon-not good at that! It is an UUUGGGLLEEE pony that got put away wet a few times! ::

1 - 4 of 4 Posts