Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking for any ideas for a custom front air dam on my '65 fastback. i need something that will be functional for sustained high speeds (like Bonneville or Nevada's Silver State Challenge). ideally the air dam will be 1) removable as i'm sure it will not add to the aesthetics of the vehicle, and 2) compatible with the current R-model front bumper on the car. i'm not looking for catalog stuff like the front splitter sold by mustang depot or other similar street stuff. i need to do something serious about all the air getting under the car.

anyone ever modified the front of a '65 for similar reasons? got pics or ideas? thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would probably just snag one of those plastic ones of a trans am and trim it to fit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the idea. either way, it will likely end up being ugly as heck...no matter how good the workmanship. that's why it's got to be removable.

what kind of torque did Sinister lay down on the dyno?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Uh your doing a 150mph...and where your doing it at...no one can see!LOL!
Try looking at the old Trans am mustangs and model a aluminum or steel one like them. Key point here is to brace the spoiler. Mustangs envelopes catch alot of air at that speed. The spoiler should eliminate the front end lift.
I hope your looking at some hood pins or a dzus style set up.

·
Registered
21,344 Posts
Have you ever been to the salt flats? I'd suggest learning from the people who are actually doing it. Keep in mind, that the profile of a car is very similar to an aircraft wing and that 150 MPH is enough to cause flight. You really need to do your homework on functionality and safety rather then form.

The top curved surface of a wing is longer then the flat bottom. As the air travels over the curve, it speeds up, creating a low pressure area. The air going underneath travels slower, therefore is higher pressure pushing the wing up into the low pressure area. The air dam helps keep the air from underneath the car creating the high pressure area.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
really, lift at 150 mph, you don't say. :lol:
it's called the Bernoulli Effect. :chainsaw:

conceivably the car will also need a gurney flap on the rear decklid to offset all the downforce that will be created up front.

just curious if anyone already had something worked up that i could look at for comparison.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think it was 398rwtq... no stroke keeps it on the lower side.

Honestly I could step up the boost easily increase the hp over 500 but it's friggin fast enough for me.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You are going to need more than just a front air dam. Your'e going to need a ground effect skirt mated to the dam running all the way back to the rear. You are also going to have to skirt the inside of the front wheel wells. ANY air going underneath the car will be distasterous at that speed. You are also going to have to dampen steering control. Not being able to properly control a car at that speed is a scary thing. Don't ask me why I know. Also you are going to have to cut slots in your hood. That much air being forced thru the grille will cause lift as well.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
You might take a look at what the TCP crew did with their 65 fastback. It was not removable, IIRC, but it worked well at the 140+ speeds they ran on the tracks.

They ended up with a big wing on the back as well.

Terry told me he could push that car into turn 1 at Thunderhill at 140 without braking.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think together our mustangs might be a little much for the camaros in this town. i put down around 373 rwtq. it's nearly a joke to get that to the ground on these slick vegas roads. i'm wagging the tail as i merge at freeway speeds. i imagine you've enjoyed this same problem. i would love a 2 - 3" minitub and move my rear springs inside the framerails so i can get 315s on the back but still tucked inside the outer fender.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
i think together our mustangs might be a little much for the camaros in this town.
I think that is in alot of towns. :lol:...I know in this town there is alot of mustangs that are to much for some of the Vettes :rofl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts