Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car had been sectioned and then crashed again when I bought it, but the sheetmetal was all replaced and lined up well.

Morons pop-riveted the front aprons, and the left-side apron was shoved back 3/4".

My unibody shop told me they'd pull the aprons to spec, and pull it out in the back so the monte carlo bar would fit and so that my DS fender would be in the middle of adjustment rather than the edge of adjustment. They were also going to weld up the aprons when they had finished.

Well, got it back the other day, and they did all of that. Then I went to re-install my fenders, and my passenger fender lines right up with the holes, and it's in the center of adjustment. However, the DS fender starts out in the middle of the adjustment up front, then is still on the outer edge of adjustment in the back, and the holes in the apron show a good 1/2" outside the fender's bolt lip.

I'm going to call him on Monday, when they're open. Anyone care to tell me what the measurement between the two aprons should be right up next to the cowl?

Thanks
-Matt

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And just asking for your opinions, once the car has been wrecked, is a frame machine able to get every inch of the frame back where it needs to be, so that my front end would be exactly like a new one? Or is there always going to be some sort of bend or curve somewhere?

Is it reasonable of me to expect my shop to get it dead on factory spec from every angle?

·
Registered
992 Posts
lemonshindig said:
Is it reasonable of me to expect my shop to get it dead on factory spec from every angle?
A competent frame tech could do so.

From your description I'd say they pulled it from the front apron and the shock tower and rear apron did not come along for the ride. (my opinion, not based on any knowledge of your car)
If the bolt holes were all pushed back but evenly spaced before, they probably are not now.

I would have pulled it from the shock tower, got the towers squared which probably would have brought the back apron along and then addressed the front apron as necessary.
That is if the car was hit high, hit low you could have a rail jammed back.

Of course this assuming the replaced part/s were anywhere close to being correctly positioned.

I would discuss your concerns with them and see what they are willing to do for you.

Sluggo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts