Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems I am always finding something out of place or some PO attempt at a fix. Was in process of cleaning up front axles and planning to replace bearings when I noticed....the axles do not match. The left front has the cotter pin going down from above and is larger diameter. The right front has cotter pin going in horizontally and is smaller Diameter and obviously was “scorched” at some time in the past. Question is which is the original and what would you do. I swear every where I look on this old car I find something out of kilter!

Attachments

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
Difficult to say. It would be best if you reported the engineering numbers, on the back between the ball joints.

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
Spindles,.....axles are in the rear end housing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, Spindles. I will look for that number. Kind of hard to see easily but if I spin the steering should help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, update. The right one does not look original, the hole for cotter pin on mustangs looks to go level with the ground along with the groove in theh spindle threaded portion. Who knows what it is from and is goign to take soem more solvent and steel wool before I get near close enough to read the stamping. The left spindle is also rusty but seems to say C6DA/108 I assume this is for a six cylinder car.

·
Registered
9,205 Posts
Okay, update. The right one does not look original, the hole for cotter pin on mustangs looks to go level with the ground along with the groove in theh spindle threaded portion. Who knows what it is from and is goign to take soem more solvent and steel wool before I get near close enough to read the stamping. The left spindle is also rusty but seems to say C6DA/108 I assume this is for a six cylinder car.
C5DA more likely. V8 spindle.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
Post a pic, many guys here live and breathe Mustang parts lore.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I think you are right GT and I believe that the right side spindle with the cotter pin up and down is original, six cylinder spindle. The car was in a wreck on the left side at some point prior to me getting it and I suspect they replaced with the V8 spindle with that C5DA code...the cotter goes through side to side. The bearing diameters are slightly larger on the V8 (left) side but I don't know if there are other differences. Clearly there was issues with alignment the way the upper A arms were adjusted. At this point I could try to replace left (or both) spindles or just pack it in good and be done with it...ideas?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay so I have basically several options here and appreciate any input. Since I have a V8 spindle on the left and a 6 cyl spindle on the right I likely should replace one or the other to match. Other then the bearing size and stronger/larger shaft are there other differences that would prohibit me from, say, putting in a V8 spindle on the right to match? I am running a six cylinder engine but the larger bearings and shaft on both sides seems a plus. A consideration is I can find on eBay a 6cylinder spindle for $75 whereas a V8 spindle will run $225 plus. And of course who knows what kind of wear are on these....likely a set of new spindles and bearings is going to run easily over $600.
Do not mean to be a tightwad but Every step of my restoration seems to just take another grand here and there.

I am leaning towards locating another v8 spindle....what do you think?

andy

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
I think you're Just getting started,....

It truly gives one a Much better appreciation for very nice looking, completed cars.

I'll someone here has what you need.

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
Other then the bearing size and stronger/larger shaft are there other differences that would prohibit me from, say, putting in a V8 spindle on the right to match?
Yes, there are.
Do you have any photos of your steering linkage? The I6 center link, tie rods, pitman arm and idler arm are completely different from the V8 parts. I don't see how anybody could have connected an I6 tie rod to a V8 spindle. The tapered hole for the tapered tie rod stud on the V8 is much larger than the tapered hole in the I6 spindle. Somebody has really fubared the steering if that's what they've done.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awhtx. A couple pics. On the left/v8 side there is a large washer at tie rod end. On the right 6 cyl side no washer see pic two. So I am led to believe the linkage is I6 original. Given that is the case maybe better to put I6 spindle on left and try to sell left v8 spindle? Maybe I can get $150 on eBay. Obviously I6 spindles not as strong but at least it would be uniform right and left. Geez I can hardly believe all the changes over the years made to this old mustang....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
On the left/v8 side there is a large washer at tie rod end. On the right 6 cyl side no washer see pic two.
Yep, that's what they did. I bet the smaller I6 tapered stud is loose inside the larger tapered hole of the V8 spindle. Maybe they filled the gap between the stud and the hole with JB Weld. They put that washer there to prevent the tie rod from pulling out of the hole. A real death trap.

The cheapest solution would be another I6 spindle. Which engine do you have- I6 or V8? There are more than just a few Mustangs running around with a V8 engine and I6 suspension/steering.

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
At least they shimmed it so that the stud was not loose in the hole!
Lots of guys change out their I6 steering for V8 steering so you should be able to buy an I6 spindle for nearly nothing. I bet you are the only person in the US looking for an I6 spindle.

You've got me wondering if your car has a 5 lug wheel on the left front and a 4 lug wheel on the right front. I don't think there is any combination of bearings that will allow an I6, 4 lug hub to be used on a V8 spindle. Or did they drill the 5 lug hub with a 4 lug pattern?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
four lug all around. Found a six left spindle on eBay. $78. On its way. New bearings will go in. Now I am worried about tie rod ball joints...never ending...

·
Premium Member
7,042 Posts
If you can clean up the part number on the V8 spindle, and let me know, I might buy it.

There is a big difference to me between the C5DA and a C6OA spindle.

You may need a new backing plate, drum, shoes etc. as the V8 is larger all around.

·
Premium Member
7,042 Posts
Are your hubs both 4 lug or is one a 5 and one a 4 lug?

Either way, a hub that fit on a V8 spindle will not fit a 1965 1966 6 cylinder spindle.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts