Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting ready to recover my 67 bench. For those that have done this which brand of upholstery did you buy? Are you happy with it? If you had it to do over would you have done something different?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
100 Posts
My '66 has bucket seats but I bought a complete set of upholstery from one of the Mustang supply houses. I did the work myself and all I needed was the hog ring pliers and hog rings.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Diane, my 65, has the front bench and I just got the TMI set from NPD. I have zero skills in upholstery and the guys who are going to do it recommended TMI. Looks great in the box. I'll report the results in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recovered my 65 bench seat with TMI upholstery from CJ’s. It was my first upholstery job and it came out really nice. I had to buy new seat bun foam from bucket seats and trim a little where it meets the center section. if I had to do it over again I would still use TMI but I would add a little more foam to the center arm rest. It’s not as “full” and puffy as I would like but still looks good. After time and use it may get looser etc. 4142D36F-CE5F-4AC0-B759-8135023FED75.jpeg

·
Registered
46 Posts
How did you cut the bucket buns? I’m going to do mine this week and I was thinking I would just cut a little bit off the lower side of the inside bun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did you cut the bucket buns? I’m going to do mine this week and I was thinking I would just cut a little bit off the lower side of the inside bun.
I installed the seat buns securely with the hog rings and with a Freshly sharpened knife I cut the side bolster just enough so the foam wasn’t bunching up with the center section. Not the whole side of the bun because there is a contour to it that I didn’t want to lose when I attached the upholstery through the gap. Hard to explain but once you look at it you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you remember how many inches of foam you put across the center section between the 2 buns once cut? I was planning on 2" but didn't know if the covers would stretch over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you remember how many inches of foam you put across the center section between the 2 buns once cut? I was planning on 2" but didn't know if the covers would stretch over.
To be honest, the middle section my bench seat was in great shape so I didn’t change it. I did however get some high density seat foam from joanns fabrics and cut slivers in different sizes to fill any gaps that didn’t look good when the cover was on. 2 inch thick high density sounds about right though. The covers were really tight with the new buns. Hard to get on so I used the plastic bag trick and they slipped right on easily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts