Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to be doing my first track day in August and have been gathering parts to freshen up my 67. On that list of items was brake cooling ducts. I figured it is a cheap bit of insurance to help keep my brake temps under control. Anyway, my question is... does anyone have pics or ideas they could share of how they connected the duct to the backing plate? Do you just point it at the existing inlet on the backing plate or did you add a piece of tube to the BP to then clamp the duct to? I have Granada discs on the front and I can weld, so I don’t mind cutting things up to get the best cooling effect.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I used the cobra automotive kit since I have the big Lincoln brakes. I installed a scoop on each side where the front turn signals lights go in my 69. I cut up a square abs plastic brake duct to fit that is similar to Bud Moore’s trans am car.

·
Registered
658 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,934 Posts
The Granada disc brake sheet metal splash shields have a plastic air scoop attached to them. At least mine do.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You can rivet these to the opening on the backing plate. Just trim to fit. Use a hose clamp to secure the ducting to the flange.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/ductflanges.php
Seems like you would be better off with steel than aluminum...they cant weigh anything worth mentioning and you could tack weld(or seam weld if you chose) steel versions in place unless there is some need to make them able to be removed from the dust shields independently...for that matter...would be easy to fab some out of some exhaust pipe and sheet metal...or just exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Seems like you would be better off with steel than aluminum...they cant weigh anything worth mentioning and you could tack weld(or seam weld if you chose) steel versions in place unless there is some need to make them able to be removed from the dust shields independently...for that matter...would be easy to fab some out of some exhaust pipe and sheet metal...or just exhaust pipe.
To each his own. I rather pay $20 for a pair that is already made. Drill a few holes and throw on some rivets. No fabbing or welding. But, like they say. It's your car, do what you want.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
To each his own. I rather pay $20 for a pair that is already made. Drill a few holes and throw on some rivets. No fabbing or welding. But, like they say. It's your car, do what you want.
If you are drilling holes, you are fabricating anyway. Go down to Autozone(or wherever) buy a 6 inch section of exhaust tubing for $5, cut it into 2 2-inch sections...and after cutting whatever size hole it is out of the brake shield you simply tack weld it directly to the brake shield...same amount of time, no waiting for shipping and $15 cheaper...though not as shiny. I estimate 10 minutes per side or so...most of that spent drilling the hole in the brake dust shield...and no hardware to worry about. Your method is prettier though.

·
Super Moderator
8,953 Posts
I used the CA duct kit which replaces the OEM K-H splash shields with a plate and duct attachment tube that directs air to the center of the rotor. I modified a separate front valence to attach Allstar brake duct flanges.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a scoop on a Granada backing plate. They were only used on 80 and maybe 79 Granadas. They feed air into the center of the rotor.
My backing plates look like they would accept that plastic baffle thing, but unfortunately I never got them with it. That’s a bad sign that the factory added that giant air intake to such a mild mannered car, makes me think the brakes were a bit undersized for that car!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,055 Posts
My backing plates look like they would accept that plastic baffle thing, but unfortunately I never got them with it. That’s a bad sign that the factory added that giant air intake to such a mild mannered car, makes me think the brakes were a bit undersized for that car!
That's what mine look like ,wonder if any of those plastic scoop things are available out there somewhere

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Your backing plates look like they might be the type that accepts the scoop. Good luck finding some!

·
Premium Member
9,934 Posts
Your backing plates look like they might be the type that accepts the scoop. Good luck finding some!

IIRC they are just a flat piece of plastic. When you "clip" it into the dust/splash shield it forms into a scoop. If you're interested in trying to make a pair I'll see if I can remove mine and trace the outline on a piece of paper.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IIRC they are just a flat piece of plastic. When you "clip" it into the dust/splash shield it forms into a scoop. If you're interested in trying to make a pair I'll see if I can remove mine and trace the outline on a piece of paper.
Thanks, but I’m still gonna move forward with the full brake duct, so I don’t need the scoops. But maybe somebody else might?

Hopefully I’ll get to attack this this weekend and I will post some pics.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts