Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of installing a 71 Ranchero (11.29" Rotor, Single Piston Caliper) disc brake set on my drum/drum 68 mustang. I had purchased the drum/drum 68 brake line set from NPD and some 68 disc flex lines from Mustangs Unlimited.

As most of you know, the front drum brake line set won't work with the disc flex line since it's facing the opposite direction. NPD has agreed to let me swap out the drum set for a disc set. However, I noticed in their catalog that the only 68 disc set they carry is for power brakes and I'm doing manual brakes.

So, my question is, will the PDB line set work for my application or should I just take the short shock tower lines to a brake shop to be cut and have new fittings installed? Also, what's the special type of flare these lines require? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Besides the brake line that runs from the front to the rear it's easier to buy straight lines and $30 for a cutter and flair tool. It's really not that hard. You can spend extra money on a bender but all the bends can be done by using different radius items laying around and your hands. Making your own comes in handy when your Frankensteining parts together.

·
Registered
64 Posts
+1

I just redid all the front lines on my car when I upgraded to manual disc brakes.

Cutting and bending lines is simple. Flaring is easy once you get the hang of it. Make sure you get a double flare (as opposed to single flare) tool. I suggest buying a spare length of tubing from NAPA and take a few practice runs with the flaring tool before cutting into your pre-bent brake lines.

Here's a link that helped me:
Flaring? I stink at it

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
+2

I just did made all the hard lines for my car. The only factory brake components in the my entire brake system are the front brakes and rubber hoses. Not expensive, nor hard to make the lines.

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
The M/C will sit further out on a power brake car, so you'll either need to tweak the M/C to dist. block lines, or make new ones. The other lines will work just fine, so swapping the drum for the disc lines is a good move.

I'll agree that making lines is easy, but since the line sets are so cheap, it really isn't worth my time to cut, bend and flare front brake lines. The front set for my '71 was $40, I couldn't barely get all the parts (line, line nuts, couplers) for that much, never mind the fact that the correct size line nuts are not available from any parts store, they only carry the "regular" sizes, not the larger 1/2" and 9/16" that Ford liked to use in certain applications.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts