Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a bunch of work done on my car last weekend and when i brake now it works great except that the steering wheel shakes back and fourth violently when i go to stop. what causes this. i will probably take it back to the guys to have them take a look at it.

64 1/2 D-code
65 pedal

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
That could be front end needs alignment. If the steering wheel just shakes I would suspect rotors or drums out of balance or in need of turning.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
What type of work did you have done? I'd bet it's the brakes. Sounds like the rotors or drums. Whichever you have.

66 Coupe, 302, Auto, 3.25 gears. Candyapple Red with White Pearl Stripes. Cragars.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Were your front rotors replaced? Brake roughness is usually caused by a pad rubbing for a long period of time and changing the thickness of your disks. Rear drums can cause it but it is most unlikely. Did the vehicle do this before the brake change? Sometimes if the wheel lugs are not torqued down evenly it can throw the rotor off. While you have the wheel off check to see if the wheel bearings are tightened. Loose rotor will also do this. Take the vehicle back and demand it be corrected.

Mark Memmer
70 Calypso Coral Mach 1 351C 4V Completed by 8/01
98 Cobra Convertible
93 5.0 Mustang LX (Winter Ride)
00 Volvo S80 (Wifes Ride)

·
Registered
487 Posts
This could very well be caused by a bent rim...I have the same issue with my "dually". Apparently it's just an accepted part of life with these oversized pick-ups. They just tend to bend the rims a litte bit every now and then. Anyway, after the last tire change, I had to rotate one of the fronts to the rear and then the problem went away.

Although I now get a nice butt massage....lol

Dang! Just when I got used to being "strange", I became a "newbie". So what the sam hell is that?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts