Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the likely causes of the right front tire pulling me to the right under hard braking? Is it a bad wheel cylinder, or proportioning valve, or both? I redid the rear brakes, but not the front, and put a new MC on...It just started doing it recently....I got 4 wheel non-power drums all the way around....

RJ
68 Diamond Blue Coupe
Sprint Promotion A
289 2bbl with a C4

Click Here For Home Page

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Had this exact same problem on a '65 coupe some years back. Turned out to be a frozen self-adjuster mechanisim. Could be the lining has become contaminated either with grease (bad seal) or fluid from a leaking wheel cylinder. I've also experienced cracked linings which make a wheel brake very grabby. Proportioning valve controls only the rear brakes, modulating pressure to prevent premature lockup, so doubt it would be that. Having said that, 4 wheel drum brakes don't use a proportioning valve in the system. Was the car previously a disk brake car?

65 Hi-Po F/B
67 GTA F/B (small block)
MCA 27479

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No discs ever....so I guess I can rule out proportioning valve....I guess what I am thinking of is the distribution block that is on the apron across from the MC....

RJ
68 Diamond Blue Coupe
Sprint Promotion A
289 2bbl with a C4

Click Here For Home Page

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Vacuum or pressure bleed your system....likely there's air in there...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Most likely one cylinder is leaking fluid on the linings or one piston in the left cylinder is frozen. Not all that unusual. Should be obvious when you pull it apart.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Betcha you`ll find the left front brake hose is bad ! Inner lining is acting like a check valve when you step on the brakes hard ,causing the juice to go to the right front easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts