Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 coupe where the front threaded holes for bumper brackets are rusted out. Is there an alternative way to mount the brackets to frame. I was told you can drill out the the old threaded fastener and use some type of compression nut in hole. Any suggestions for this problem.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
If the surrounding steel is strong enough, perhaps a J or catch nut through the slot in its place?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you..do you know where I could find these.....the surrounding frame is plenty strong

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
thank you..do you know where I could find these.....the surrounding frame is plenty strong
There may be something at Lowe's, Home Depot, or Fastenal...just match the thread pattern you need.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Maybe you could use nuts with a flag, like the trailer hitch kit in the picture. Or find a way to hold a nut in place so you can tighten the bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Show us pics of the rusted area in question.... and the answers will come...Need pics....both sides...Driver and Passenger...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
On my 67 there was a factory hole beneath the front most nut that I could stick a wrench up in and hold a replacement nut in place of the one that had rusted out. You might be able to do something similar to at least get the front one in.

I ended up having to fix it properly eventually, but the nut through hole on the bottom worked for a long time until I did.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
A helicoil will probably be strong enough for those. They don't hold up a lot weight.

If you can weld pretty good you can cut the welded on nut portions of these and weld them in. Its a front frame rail outer patch. I used one because one of my bumper bracket nuts was broken off from somebody bumping into something. I cut out a square around one of the nuts and welded it into my frame rail to replace the broken nut..

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I've had to deal with this problem by myself a few times before... If the original nut is gone (Fallen out), You should be able to get two fingers up in there from the factory bottom drain hole and hold a nut and a lockwasher in there from the reverse side while you put the front bolt through. I've done it several times..

Tony K.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm going through this now, the nut was originally attached to a tab inside the frame rail, the nut has become detached so I'm doing as NEFaurora suggests. I had to hog out the access hole at the bottom of the frame rail to get a wrench in.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
"I had to hog out the access hole at the bottom of the frame rail to get a wrench in."

A Pair of long Needlenose pliers usually does it...The Lockwasher will do the rest..

Sure, You can "Hog Out" the bottom drain hole, but if you take your time...You shouldn't have to..

Tony K.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts