Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The F bumper on my 67 is a repop, feels paper thin, I can flex it with my hand. Its a pretty crappy excuse for a bumper.

It was attached with 4 zinc plated hardware store bolts that are the wrong size.

There is a hole on the bottom of the bumper on each end and it looks like a brace or bracket should be there.

Am I missing any parts?

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,355 Posts
I bought my repro front bumper from NPD. I compared it to the original. I couldn't tell the difference. The chrome was perfect. I suspect that the 67 bumper they sell is of the same quality it's from the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im pretty sure the PO put the least expensive bumper he could find on the car.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,355 Posts
Im pretty sure the PO put the least expensive bumper he could find on the car.
Bumpers on our Mustangs don't offer a lot of protection as it is but one that feels as the PO says I'd be replacing it unless the car is going to be a trailer queen, Bumpers aren't a high dollar item.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
MyFirstCar got new bumpers when I had it painted 25 years ago, both made by NORDAN, and they still clean up great but the front one end has a little character due to a little contact with a pole after rolling up a little after putting it in Park. $#!+
I hear the newest ones sold by NPD are even better, so I may replace them again when I can paint the car.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I would skip using the outer bracket that bolts the bumper to the fenders....it is guaranteed to bend "BOTH" fenders if you have any type of bump or hit on you bumper....extra damage that can be avoided....ask me how I know...this is my opinion....

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
The '65-'66 Bumpers sold by NPD now (Golden Legion-Cheng Shen) are excellent. I'm a nitpicker and I was impressed with the fit and the quality of them for Repro, and that's saying a lot. I can't speak to the '67-'68 Bumpers or later..
Tony K.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
I would skip using the outer bracket that bolts the bumper to the fenders...
I don't have them on my Turquoise car and the bumper is drooped under its own weight at the corners the tiniest bit compared to the Emberglo car that does have them.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
The '65-'66 Bumpers sold by NPD now (Golden Legion-Cheng Shen) are excellent. I'm a nitpicker and I was impressed with the fit and the quality of them for Repro, and that's saying a lot. I can't speak to the '67-'68 Bumpers or later.
I weighed my original bumper compared to one of NPD's Golden Legion bumpers, and they weighed the same. For the price and quality, hard to beat them!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It will be new bumpers when the time comes to reassemble the car.

I may try a 65 front bumper as well. My 65 original is discolored and showing its age, I was thinking about having it rechromed, but I think I will hang it in the attic and try a repop.

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
I don't have them on my Turquoise car and the bumper is drooped under its own weight at the corners the tiniest bit compared to the Emberglo car that does have them.
Yep. Without the outer brackets, the bumper, cheap or expensive, will go 'wibble-wobble-wibble-wabble' as you drive. Ford didn't spend 2¢ on these cars they didn't need to.

·
Vendor
4,067 Posts
Our bumpers are distributed through Golden Legion, Golden Legion's logo is on the packaging, but they are actually made by a partner factory called Yeou Wei (YW). On the little colored import label, you should see YW on it.

Either YW owns a large share of Golden Legion, or the other way around, I actually can't remember anymore LOL.. But's damn reassuring to see the good comments.

Rick
NPD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts