Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the upgraded 2 way individual small stereo front dash speakers for a while. I would like an improvement. I am looking for all the options. I have seen that RetroSound and Custom Autosound both offer one. Does anyone have any experience with both? Also, I would like to find something like a Pioneer offering, but have not found anything.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would like to know which of these dual voice coil speakers is better. Does one sound significantly better than the other, or is one made better in some way?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I can only say that I feel that I did extensive research and generally, the negative reviews for the Custom Auto Sound products (and poor customer service) pushed me toward RetroSound. I bought the RetroSound DVC front speaker but unfortunately, I haven't fired up the system yet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have the RetroSound dual voice coil speaker in our early 65 and it is not bad. Almost a period correct vibe like listening to vinyl records on a portable turntable. If you are looking for a more "modern" listening experience you will want true stereo separation that just doesn't happen in a dual voice coil speaker. The bass will be somewhat better than the two smaller individual speakers side by side.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I cut a piece of plexiglass to shape, drilled 2 holes and installed tweeters in the dash on my '66. Really helped the sound, but I do have kick panel speakers and a couple of amps

·
Registered
51 Posts
i would not waste my time with any of the center channel combos....invest in some premade kick panels (you can buy at CJ pony/ NPD) to use 6.5inch woofers. I have 6.5 inch JL Audio drivers mounted in custom fibreglassed kick panels i made myself and tweeters in the corner of the dash and sounds very good.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Others have told me that the kick panel speakers are ineffective because the speakers simply cannot move enough air in that tight enclosure. I don't think that there is a perfect solution in a vintage Mustang but for me, the RetroSound Hermosa head unit, RetroSound DVC speaker in the dash, and two highly rated 6x9 Jensen 3-way speakers mounted from under the package tray with baffles.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I spent a ton of money on audio crap for my 68 but would rather listen to the lovely exhaust sound of the 331. My wife and I rarely turn the radio or canned music on.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
...kick panel speakers also encroach too close for my comfort with the clutch pedal in my convertible, so they're out for me.

I've run all sorts of mutant speaker combos in my '65 over the last 30-some years, even managed to wedge a 6x9 into the stock dash location once. I currently run the Retrosound DVC 4x10, which is a big improvement over the pair of 4" Pioneer coaxials I had in there previously. You're not going to get any stereo separation in that location anyway, and the larger cone makes for much, much better bass response than those little speakers. I'd paired the previous 4" Pioneers in the dash with a pair of 6.5" Pioneers in homemade housings high on the floor/low on the firewall, and frankly the single Retrosound DVC sounds better on the road with the top down than that entire setup did.

I also run Retrosound DVCs in the internet radios I build (check my history), and I'm pretty confident in saying that any tinnyness out of those speakers in a Mustang dash is due to the bass limitations of that 4x10 cone. A Hifiberry Amp+ through their 5 1/4" DVC will really fill a room, surprisingly enough. If I were feeling more ambitious I might try wedging one of their low-profile 6x9 DVCs back in that same location again.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have a nice pair of 6x9 speakers in the package tray with original syle grilles. They are run by an amp. The head unit is a Pioneer since the dash was already hacked up. I'm trying to maintain a nearly stock appearance. I am not interested in a kick panel setup for speakers. I honestly can not stand the look. I also feel they clutter up the foot area especially with 3 pedals. I'm really just looking for the best sound I can get from the stock location. I was thinking the same thing about the RetroSound being better. Also, I do have a dash repair panel. One day I might do that and get a RetroSound unit.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have a nice pair of 6x9 speakers in the package tray with original syle grilles. They are run by an amp. The head unit is a Pioneer since the dash was already hacked up. I'm trying to maintain a nearly stock appearance. I am not interested in a kick panel setup for speakers. I honestly can not stand the look. I also feel they clutter up the foot area especially with 3 pedals. I'm really just looking for the best sound I can get from the stock location. I was thinking the same thing about the RetroSound being better. Also, I do have a dash repair panel. One day I might do that and get a RetroSound unit.
Yeah, I had to weld a patch panel to repair the radio opening in my '66 coupe. The PO had cut the dash for an aftermarket radio. Back to looking stock now. I scored a pair of original complete '66 Mustang metal low-profile package tray speaker grilles for $39.95 shipped. Some very light sanding (no broken studs and the screens were straight), primer and paint and they look like new! I think that mounting 6x9s from UNDERNEATH the package tray (with baffles) is the way to go. I believe that's how Ford mounted them (minus the baffles, of course).

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,218 Posts
I have dual 3.5" "Focal" speakers in the center of the dash pad. I also bridged two "JL audio" 4" speaker in homemade speaker enclosures made from 4" Black PVC pipe cut to length. They are totally sealed and have dynamat on the inside of the end caps and batting material inside. They are inside the dash facing down. It sounds great with pioneer amps and a Retrosound model 2.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've had both the RetroSound and the Custom AutoSound DVC dash replacement speaker and the CAS speaker is far better IMHO.....

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have my rear speakers just mounted to the bottom of the package tray. The sound great. I've even been asked more than once if there is a sub in the trunk, so I don't see any need to alter that setup.

More and more I want to repair the dash for a correct looking radio. It's just on the bottom of my list with other home and truck projects.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yeah, I bought the R-410N low-profile model. Personally, I wouldn't touch Custom AutoSound with a 10-foot pole. Hopefully, you never need to deal with a company's customer service department, but in the unlikely event that you do, RetroSound is the way to go. They quickly answered my questions knowledgeably prior to my purchase.

Far too many negative reviews of the CAS products and their lousy customer service.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts