Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone grafted a front clip from another car.The front clip on my 67 fastback was rotted beyond repair,I purchased a front clip from a rear wrecked 68 coupe and was planning on grafting @ the side cowl panel/firewall area.If anyone has any tips I would appreciate.Thanks,Jim

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
It is not as hard as you might think. The key is to get a good clean cutoff point with cleanly drilled spot welds and flanges. Easiest place is the remove it from the aprons forward and use the entire front rail assemblies.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Only thing that attaches the front clip to the rest of the car if the firewall . The 67 might have 2 torque boxes , 1 on driver side and one on pass but it might only have 1 on the drivers .
The rear aprons attach down the front of the firewall and then the front frame rails spot weld to the lower firewall/toe-board area . The frame also has the floor support/frame section welded to them and those are spot welded to the flat section in the front floor pans .
Pretty much , measure , measure , measure . Cut , drill , fit , measure , weld .
It would be easier with the upper and lower cowl removed , if you have to split the cowl , to get to the firewall spot welds as it will leave more room .

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Rememebr to address all the VIN issues or you will be looking for trouble

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
When you do this grafting, could you document it with a good set of pictures and post them? I may be doing the same thing to a new project of mine in the near future.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts