Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings
What are your thoughts on cars that have had the front end replaced with another clip. In particular, I am looking at a 1966 GT K code that has had the front end replaced with another clip. Cannot read the VIN on the panel, but of course it is not the original. Since this would be a worthy vehicle for restoration, my question relates to it’s legality and originality. Is it legal to replace the front clip and if so, how do you get the new VIN to match the data plate?
This project is probably way over my head, but being a factory 63B, GT and original engine, trans and rear - thought I would ask the experts. Would you steer clear? Thanks RB

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
"It has a K code front clip" from another car. Ok, so what made THAT car a K code car? Was the original clip destroyed? Couldn't the vin number had been removed from the original wrecked clip and put onto the new clip (with legal State Police witnessing this?)
I don't buy it. Sounds like a rebody to me any way you paint it...

·
Registered
486 Posts
From what you are saying this car is a K code that has had the front clipped replaced by a donor vehicle due to either rust or collision. If everything else is original and in tact on the back half and driveline, I say go for it. After all there are a lot of cars that have had every panel on the front end replaced with out preserving the VIN stamping due to rust or collision. If the title and everything from the cowl back are the original K code then go for it. Just make sure that you disclose to any future buyer that the front clip was replaced. Just my thoughts though.

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
Look, all the vin numbers for this year ARE on the front clip. So, what vin was the rear half of the car?
Door tag? That is movable, just need the rivets.
and since you know that the clip was replaced, how good a job was done on it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts