Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front crossmember is badly dented on my 66. The radiator support is in good shape though. Is it worth it just to replace the lower crossmember? Or should I replace the whole thing as a unit?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Mine came as two pieces. But I'm not sure how easy it would be to remove just the front crossmember. It has a long row of welds along the back edge connecting the Rad support and x-member and is welded to the strut braces in many places. It might be easier to replace it as a unit.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree, replace them both. I didn't count, but there are many more welds accross the bottom of that crossmember then on the sides. If you have to take out the crossmember, the HEAVY lifting is done... and actually, by taking out both you SAVE a lot of lifting.

Chris

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
It would be a real biotch to remove just the cross member mainly due to the location of the zillion spot welds. Keep in mind you would then need to somehow seperate the rad support from the crossmember, while it remains attached to the inner fender aprons? Very tough project.

Pat,
I highly recommend you get some good spot weld cutter bits from HTP. Get the gold colored ones. Well worth it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I kinda figured that I should just replace both but I wanted to check. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts