Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm looking at 'assembling' my own 13x1.25 front disc brake system for the 65 fb.
It already has the factory disc brakes, but at 11x.81 this is far too small for Pacific Raceways -- the old SIR.

Some of you have purchased large DB system like this from Cobra Automotive (they have a 12x1.25),
SSBC, Wilwood, etc.

What I'm trying to determine is the rotor hat offset the various vendors use. Using this information one could simply order a hat and the rotor off the shelf and then pick a caliper to suite the rotor thickness and diameter and build your own bracket.

http://wilwood.com/products/hats/srmhpic.gif has a lousy picture to use as a reference for the Hats.

Please let us know the:

Hat Part Number (and manuf)
Hat Offset
Hat center hub diameter
Type of center hub (stripped down disc, drum, alum, etc)
Diameter of rotor
Thickness of Rotor (looking for .810, .110 and 1.25 systems)
Type of Spindle (Granada, 70-73, etc)

If nothing else, just the hub offset (see pic) would get this going.

By assembling this info, once could go to Essex parts (http://essexparts.com/brakeguide.html), Wilwood, etc and order a hat, rotor and caliper and assemble your own system. I believe this could be done for much less than the system price.
Plus, it's more fun!

BossBill

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
BossBill,

Thanks for the reference to the Essex site. I'm still working on my upgrade to the Lincoln calipers and LTD rotors. I'll have to fab the caliper bracket on this one too. Question for you, what type of hub are you planning on using? I need a source for hubs I can mount to 70-73 drum pins.

Thanks and good luck,

Bob.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
I was poking around a 1957 Ford sight the other nite. (Don't ask me why). And they use Granada brakes too. But what they do is have a machine shop open up the hole in the top of the spindle. They don't need to do this with Versiles and fullsize LTD brakes. The full size cars have even larger rotors! If the Granada and Versilles fit thier cars, they will fit ours. There is a shim we use for Versilles spindles. The same shims could be used to put LTD brakes on our cars.

Who wants to volunteer to check this out???

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your reply is exactly why we need to gather all of this info!
From what I've gathered -- nothing concrete...just what I've heard -- you use the drum brake hub for the 70-73 after removing the drum. You do this by removing the swadge around the studs that hold the drum on. Just conjecture on my part based upon what I've heard...
After looking at the 65-66 rotor hub, there is not a whole lot of material left after you remove the rotor.

You can buy some hubs ready-made for your conversion from Cobra Automotive ( http://www.cobraautomotive.com ) in either steel or aluminum ($200/$249 respectively). If the steel one is just a drum hub, that's not a good price. I wonder ...
As for your brackets, CA has those too, for $345, ready made.

For a ready-made TransAm brake kit like what you are building, there is http://www.mspmall.com/spi/brakekit.htm

BossBill

·
Registered
400 Posts
BossBill,
I have a set of 70 drum spindles and hubs. If you need any measurements from these, let me know. I have been assembling the parts to do a disk brake conversion, but have not decided which to go with. I would be interested in keeping up with your investigation.

Glenn

PS How can anyone say VMF has gotten stale with threads like this...

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
BossBill,

I'll check the 70-73 drum hub. I saw the TransAm brake kit, but they are very pricey. I can get new LTD rotors and rebuild calipers for less than $600. Since I have several 70-73 drum spindles, fabbing caliper brackets for a few $$$'s saves me several bucks. The CobraAuto brackets are custom and only work with 11.75" rotors. The LTD's are 11.4764". I'll let you know what I come up with.

Bob.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
65-66 Lincoln/Tbird calipers, adapter, rotor will bolt to a 70 up Mustang drum spindle. These calipers are the 4 piston K/H setup similar to the early Mustang, but are HUGE! Pads and rotors are a shelf item. Cobra Automotive $ell$ the$e Kit$, I prefer to find my own cores....

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glenn,

I think two or three measurements might do it.
Place the hub, large race down, on your flat clean workbench (we all have one of these, right?) and measure from the bench to the wheel mounting surface. You should do this in two or three different places. Also measure from the bench, through the spindle hole, to the top of the outside wheel bearing race.
Now pick up the hub and measure the distance from where the hub sat on the bench to where the inner race starts.
I hope you are using something other than a wood ruler (Bill humor)

Using my amazing math skills I'll subtract out a few things and should come up with where the wheel surface is with respect to the races.
I'll compare to my factoy disc brake setup and see if they are in the same place. I suspect so, but until you measure ...

Thanks for asking.

BossBill

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob,

I have no hubs and the results of this amazing survey may help us both. I'm thinking it will be the drum brake hub (maybe in alum).

BossBill

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I got the calipers, but not the stock adapters. A buddy stripped a 65 Lincoln, bolted the stock adapter, rotor, caliper to his 70 Mustang drum spindles. The full 65 Lincoln rotor is avalable from Raybestos. Napa United # 85507, Raybestos # 6008

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I don't know the dimensions of the stock rotor, but the bolt pattern is 5 x 4 1/2", or same as a Mustang.

I'm not an expert on SCCA rules, but I've been told this is the legal SCCA setup, all production parts.

If you find an extra pair of adapters on a Lincoln or 'Bird, remember your ol' pal, Art! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
A cruise night friend recommend this shop near me. They are supposed to be the area Lincoln experts. They want $139.95 for rebuild calipers (plus core) and $150 for new rotors. The puzzle is that they say that the caliper bolts directly to the spindle. I can't locate a Lincoln parts book. Did you see the Lincoln setup on the donor car? The response is below. Any thoughts before I question his reponse. Thanks, Bob.

[email protected] wrote:
Dear Baker Auto Sales:
Do you carry the caliper brackets for the 65-69 caliper?
What two items do these brackets connect? From the factory the caliper is bolted directly to the spindle.
Is the 65-69 rotor with or without a hub? If hubless, is the hub available?
I can help you with a good used hub.
What is the core charge on the 65-69 calipers?
$75 each.
Thank you for your time and assistance.

Steven Ouellette
BAKER'S AUTO
196 Providence Pike
Route 44
Putnam, CT 06260
Information/Service (860) 928-7614
Orders (Toll Free) (800) 962-9228
Orders (Local) (860) 928-9228
Fax (860) 928-0749

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The puzzle is that they say that the caliper bolts directly to the spindle

Yes, that's my understanding. The big Lincoln caliper uses an "adapter" much like a 65-67 Mustang to connect the caliper to the spindle.
I've been told the Lincoln "adapter", caliper, and rotor will bolt on a 1970-1973 Mustang drum brake spindle... Which will bolt on a 65-66 Mustang with the correct tie rod ends.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts