Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completed restoration on my 1966 Mustang convertible last summer. Have owned the car for many years. Looking to do front brake conversion to discs. I have the14-5 styled wheels, so it appears that none of the aftermarket kits will fit. Require 14-6 or larger wheels. Will NOS parts, if available, from either a 1965-66 Mustang or Cougar fit? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Do you have 5 lug wheels? If yes what is the date code? 65 and after will work with the CSRP kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Call Chockostang 217 882 2083. He will set you up with a factory Kelsey Hays disc brake system.

With shipping and insurance my drum to disc kit cost $723.61.

I have power brakes and already have a factory booster, so my kit was the MC, proportioning valve and everything that bolts on the spindles.

I also bought all new stainless steel brakes lines from NPD. Now is a good time to replace those as well.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I converted to 13 in Wilwood disc brakes a few months ago. I have the entire KH disc brake setup if you're interested including rotors, discs, calipers, brackets, dust shields and hardware. They were all working fine when I took them off. I rebuilt the calipers years ago and have driven the car about 10K miles since. The discs are fine but the calipers could use a new coat of paint. I'll sell the whole thing for $300 plus shipping. I am in So Cal. I have a 1" bore aluminum MC also if you want it. I'll include it for no cost. I have these things sitting in a box for a couple of months and would like to get them to someone who could use them.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
@blkfrd if the OP doesn't jump on that and shipping isn't astronomical, I'm interested for my son's car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the CSRP disc brake swap kit and it fits under standard Scott Drake 14" x 5" styled steel wheels without issue. From what I understand these are the closest to original styled steel wheels currently on the market. I was told when I was doing research that the 14" styled steel wheels Coker sells would not fit over the disc brakes. I would have to go to 15", if I wanted to purchase from Coker. So I know not all 14" styled steel wheels wheels will fit disc brakes.

These are the 14" wheels I have that fit the disc brake swap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have 5 lug wheels? If yes what is the date code? 65 and after will work with the CSRP kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completed restoration on my 1966 Mustang convertible last summer. Have owned the car for many years. Looking to do front brake conversion to discs. I have the14-5 styled wheels, so it appears that none of the aftermarket kits will fit. Require 14-6 or larger wheels. Will NOS parts, if available, from either a 1965-66 Mustang or Cougar fit? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Call Chockostang 217 882 2083. He will set you up with a factory Kelsey Hays disc brake system.

I have power brakes and already have a factory booster, so my kit was the MC, proportioning valve and everything that bolts on the spindles.

I also bought all new stainless steel brakes lines from NPD. Now is a good time to replace those as well.
Thank you. I will contact Chockostang.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. I will contact Chockostang.
I have the CSRP disc brake swap kit and it fits under standard Scott Drake 14" x 5" styled steel wheels without issue. From what I understand these are the closest to original styled steel wheels currently on the market. I was told when I was doing research that the 14" styled steel wheels Coker sells would not fit over the disc brakes. I would have to go to 15", if I wanted to purchase from Coker. So I know not all 14" styled steel wheels wheels will fit disc brakes.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I converted to 13 in Wilwood disc brakes a few months ago. I have the entire KH disc brake setup if you're interested including rotors, discs, calipers, brackets, dust shields and hardware. They were all working fine when I took them off. I rebuilt the calipers years ago and have driven the car about 10K miles since. The discs are fine but the calipers could use a new coat of paint. I'll sell the whole thing for $300 plus shipping. I am in So Cal. I have a 1" bore aluminum MC also if you want it. I'll include it for no cost. I have these things sitting in a box for a couple of months and would like to get them to someone who could use them.
I am interested in the KH set and will let you know.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
435 Posts
And If there is something to be learned as of lately. DO NOT ADD POWER BRAKES to the mix. Keep it manual. LOL

Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with Chockostang or the CSRP swap. Here's the link to the CSRP kit I purchased. SWAP.1.3/ - though, I recently upgraded from manual brakes to a power brake booster and Porterfiled R4-S pads. It now stops nearly as well as my daily driver - of course without ABS.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The SWAP.1.3/M kit cost $619, complete + S&H.
I used a power front disc upgrade from you guys. It was complete with good instructions and installed with no real problems. I went with power because I was rebuilding the car for my 79YO mother and her 78YO husband and they need all the help they can get. They love the brakes BTW.

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Lately there are a lot of problems it seems associated with it and honestly you don’t need it.

Chris
My 67 has factory power brakes. Thats why I kept them.

Dont want to be argumentative, but how can any of us tell someone what they need or dont need?

·
Registered
435 Posts
My 67 has factory power brakes. Thats why I kept them.

Dont want to be argumentative, but how can any of us tell someone what they need or dont need?
Absolutely not. I’m saying it tongue in cheek as it seems there are numerous threads lately with people who have converted to(not already have) power brakes and are having difficulties w them. :)

Chris

1 - 20 of 25 Posts