Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
@blkfrd If both of these gentlemen decide to back out, consider me 3rd in line for my daughter’s 66. :)
That should say something about the quality and reliability of the Kelsey-Hayes braking system 56 years on.

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
That should say something about the quality and reliability of the Kelsey-Hayes braking system 56 years on.
After 56 years most of the kinks have been worked out of these brakes. Most of the survivors survive because of meticulous maintenance. Friction material must be much better now. Back around 1970, these were hated by many owners. Quality control at Ford plants was horrible. Read the old pony car tests from the 1960s and they had a hard time testing them because important parts were missing like brake pads and wheel bearings. I recall hearing about $600 brake jobs to fix Mustang brakes first time around. A huge bill in 1970. These brakes will corrode terribly from road salt. The single-piston caliper was a better value for most consumers.

·
Registered
65 Fastback
19 Posts
Do internet search 66 disc brake conversion and pick best you can afford very easy swap also agree power brakes waste of money to add.

·
Registered
853 Posts
They are 5 lug wheels. Car was built in April, 1966.What is the CSRP kit?
I was asking for the date code of the rims. They have a date code too. Something like 6ME. The first means 1966 (second is the plant and third the month.

The got posted already. Great kit which includes everything you need. I only changed to high quality pads from EBC (red stuff).

I personally don’t think power brakes are necessary, but this is your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 25 of 25 Posts