Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My next project is a front disk brake kit, I am thinking of going power brakes.

What kits have you guys installed and or what would you recommend?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went with a power disc brake conversion from Master Power Brakes. I did so after I had to take the shoulder when a vehicle in front of me hit the brakes pretty hard, no way my '70, 351C-4v with manual drum brakes was going to get stopped. Easy to convert with basic hand tools. Would do it all over again.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have the CSRP power kit, and I'm not overly impressed. I'd get the SSBC kit from Rick if I were in your shoes.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I wouldn't trade my manual K-H discs for a power set-up...
Ditto! I removed the Midland booster, swapped 14" rotors and 4 piston 2015 Mustang Brembos. I made a panic stop the other day when a knuckle head pulled out in front of me. I braked hard enough to get some tire squeel, but didn't lock them up. I'd never stopped the 69 as quickly before, even when it had power 13" 2001 Cobra brakes on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there a reason most of what I am reading is to stay away from the power brake system? I understand it will not help brake. Just interested on why so many say to stay manual.

·
Registered
34,509 Posts
Is there a reason most of what I am reading is to stay away from the power brake system? I understand it will not help brake. Just interested on why so many say to stay manual.
From a performance standpoint, power boost gives zero improvement in braking.

As a cruiser, if your drum brakes are properly maintained, they'll stop just as well in one panic stop as discs. The disc brake has a clear advantage in repeated braking, because it recovers much more quickly. Quick recovery is not an issue with cruising, unless you are nutz like me.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Rick (NPD) just posted that he has lots of SSBC kits available...deeply discounted.
I wouldn't touch an SSBC kit at this point, given they are currently belly-up. Good luck getting after sale support, and/or replacement parts down the road.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Ditto! I removed the Midland booster, swapped 14" rotors and 4 piston 2015 Mustang Brembos. I made a panic stop the other day when a knuckle head pulled out in front of me. I braked hard enough to get some tire squeel, but didn't lock them up. I'd never stopped the 69 as quickly before, even when it had power 13" 2001 Cobra brakes on it.
What size wheel do you need to run a 14" rotor?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts