Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Factory is your best bet. All Ford or auto parts stuff and 50 years from now, parts should still be available.

Reactions: 4ocious

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks but I'm just trying to get a ballpark figure of what I will have to pay to have front disc brakes installed. Just a rough estimate.

·
Premium Member
13,527 Posts
1968 was the first year that Ford used a single piston, floating caliper design disc brake. You will need the spindles and caliper mounting brackets. Calipers and rotors can be easily purchased. Lots of '68-'70 disc brake car owners opt to "upgrade" their brakes to aftermarket or MustangSteve late model large diameter rotors and calipers so their original brakes should be for sale. A WTB ad here and on mustangsteve.com should turn up a set in the $500 price range.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
In '68 Ford went to the single piston floating caliper disc brake which has a different spindle. If you have drum brakes then you have the older spindles. Your two choices are: change the spindles to get '68 brakes or install '65-67 Kelsey Hayes 4 piston caliper brakes. There is debate as to which brake system is better.
Here are three suppliers that receive rave reviews on this forum that carry complete brake kits (every nut, bolt, hose, etc that you will need):
OpenTracker Racing
Chockostang
Street or Track
Chock's site has a history lesson on the different brake systems (and spindles) that Ford used over the early years.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
2500 for someone else to do it. Just a guess. I will do it for less than that…send it to me…

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is a go to for several members on this forum including myself. click on catalog and find your year model.

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is a go to for several members on this forum including myself. click on catalog and find your year model.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I’m not sure where you are located, Im in Texas, close to the business linked above. I have installed those kits, and have some on my cars…I would also suggest doing the drop and getting a street performance alignment….roller perches, 7/8-1” sway, export brace, and making sure the rest of suspension and steering are up to snuff…or replace while in there….

Reactions: CJM68GT390

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Wow...that's it? Is this just for parts? I am looking for an all-in price to have it installed.
This is something you really should do yourself. It's not that hard. My Chockostang kit came with very good instructions which included pictures.

A friend of mine paid a local shop to install disc brakes on his GTO. Wasn't working well. He took his GTO to another shop who discovered the first shop had connected the brake lines backwards at the master cylinder. Stuff like that is pretty common when modern shops try to work on classic cars.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,398 Posts
Paying someone else to do it is gonna give you sticker shock. Let alone finding someone competent enough to do it. Your average shop isn't gonna cut it.

Which leads to why you want to swap.... discs do not stop any shorter than drums.

·
Registered
21,415 Posts
In '68 Ford went to the single piston floating caliper disc brake which has a different spindle. If you have drum brakes then you have the older spindles. Your two choices are: change the spindles to get '68 brakes or install '65-67 Kelsey Hayes 4 piston caliper brakes. There is debate as to which brake system is better.
Here are three suppliers that receive rave reviews on this forum that carry complete brake kits (every nut, bolt, hose, etc that you will need):
OpenTracker Racing
Chockostang
Street or Track
Chock's site has a history lesson on the different brake systems (and spindles) that Ford used over the early years.

What he said. Everything is brand new. All the parts are included. If you're not familiar with brakes or anything else for that matter, trying to piece something together it's very easy to buy a wrong part causing massive frustration and time lost figuring out what you really need. So buy a complete kit such as the factory 65-67 Mustang. This is 100% bolt on. No spindles replaced, no special tools to rent and no alignment needed.

If you have basic mechanical skills and some basic hand tools, you probably could do this on a Saturday. If you send it out, I'll take a stab and say $400-500 from a shop to install

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
What he said. Everything is brand new. All the parts are included. If you're not familiar with brakes or anything else for that matter, trying to piece something together it's very easy to buy a wrong part causing massive frustration and time lost figuring out what you really need. So buy a complete kit such as the factory 65-67 Mustang. This is 100% bolt on. No spindles replaced, no special tools to rent and no alignment needed.

If you have basic mechanical skills and some basic hand tools, you probably could do this on a Saturday. If you send it out, I'll take a stab and say $400-500 from a shop to install
And you will have the feeling of accomplishment from doing it yourself. Learning to do new things is part of the old car hobby.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
The labor aspect.
I'll guarantee when I was 11 I could have installed all the spindle are/bottom end on a Mustang in 4 hours. The plumbing, bleeding add 3 hours.
Now we have a say 8 hour day for a QUALIFIED, knowledgeable mechanic to install the 4 piston Disc Brakes.
I'm sure there are still independents out there who are 30-40 dollar a hour.
* times 40 is $320.
Take it to the local corner tire store, double/tripple the amount. Then drive off in a car with incorrect functioning brakes as 90% of these do not know how to do basic mechanics---NO COMPUTER to show/guide them.
If a person owns a multi wrench, and a screw driver with 20 heads, No Not attempt the install.
A person with a starter tool set with sockets, open in wrench's, desire to achieve, can install these.
I tell folks--CAN YOU PUT A BOLT in a hole, put a nut on the bolt, tighten it up, they say ---UH maybe-- Leave this to someone else.
They say Yes--Then they can put these on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts