Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im workin my front drums and i had a really hard time trying to get the wheel cylinders out. The brake line coming out of the back of it wont come loose. Any one give me any tips for dealing with these and/or the all those springs and stuff. thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
For the brake line, use a "crow foot" wrench, you'll strip the fitting with a regular open end wrench. Use plenty of PB blaster or some other type of penetrating lube on the line, bolts, etc. As for the hardware, I'd buy a replacement set. You can get them at any parts store.

N

·
0 Posts
Soak the lines, use heat. Chances are you are probably going to ruin the line. Replacements are cheap.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I've spent the last two weeks battling rusted brake lines. +1 what Napaguy said soakem in PB Blaster etc day prior, both at the cylinder and where the flex line connect at the fender. That line at Autozone is like $8.00 something. I was able to break the lines loose at the wheel cylinder but not at the fender. I ended having to cut the line fittings on both sides. Good luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice guys. i dug up some line wrenches but i still snapped the steel line coming from the master cylinder to the bracket on the wheel well. no biggie, ran to pep boys got a piece, the only difficult part of that was it was too long so i had to take up some of the slack with unnecessary bends. One things that really pissed me off was the adjuster kits that i got from CJ were both drivers side and i didnt notice till i had ripped everything out lol so i just used the old stuff on the passenger side, i just needed a new cable (it broke). idk why but the brakes are still pretty low. I bled them but maybe theres still some air in the line idk. just thought id update once i actually worked on it lol.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i didnt completely empty it, i just let it drip from the lines that i removed from the wheel cylinders. not that much dripped, i topped it off whenever i noticed it just to keep it from being dry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts