Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 mustang 2+2, I need to know the front end alignment specifications. It has a V8 with a 5 speed, 1 1/8 sway bar, 620lb. coil springs. P205/60R15 tires. ANy help would be appreciated.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
It kind of depends on what you intend on using the car for? If it is a daily driver that you will
be putting a lot of miles on, the alignment will be in a conservative direction. If it is a
weekend car and you want a lot of grip and are not to worried about tire ware you will have
different setting's.
For a daily driver you can go with 0 deg. camber - 1-1 1/2 deg. caster - 1/8" tow in. The more
grip you wand the more camber you put in. My '65 coup has 1.9 deg. negative camber - 2 deg.
caster - and no tow-in. I drive the car on the street and the track. I pay $165.00 each for the
track tires and $65.00 for the street tires so I have it set up to save money on the track. If I
had a street set up on the track the slick tires would not last to long. With the track set up in,
the street tires last a long time on the street but not as long as if I had no camber.
What are you going to use the car for???

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using the car as a daily driver, I like a car that handles well but I need a comprimise as it is driven 100 miles a day. I cannot afford tires every 10-15k. Thanks for the reply, I think the proper settings for me are the daily driver specs you called out. I recieved another reply that said
Caster - 1/4 Pos
Camber - 1/2 Pos
Toe-in - 1/4 to 5/16
This was supposed to be out of a Chiltons manual and a Haynes repair manual. I think I like the specs you call out better, that is what the front end alignment shop is recomending to. Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Unfortunately, original recommendations are written for bias-ply or cross-ply tires and sort of oversafe setup. IMHO they are pretty useless with your combo. If tire costs are important, it's camber and toe that tear tires. Caster doesn't have much effect. How about zero camber or maybe -1/4, caster +1, toe-in 1/8, maybe 1/16. That isn't too harsh on tires, but would allow you to enjoy more spirited cornering than stock setup.

Door handle first when cornering

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Camber - 1/2 negative
Caster - Manual Steering - 1 to 1.5 degree positive
Caster - Power Steering - 2 to 2.5 degree positive
Toe-In 1/8"

Good specs for daily/occasional driver.
If you're more performance oriented, shoot for 1*-1.25* negative camber and 0 toe.

My 1965 Restomod Shelby Clone
http://www.hometown.aol.com/ihatecar24/clone65.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts