Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always get good advice on this site and once again am trying to take advantage of the knowledge available. I had installed new coil springs, upper / lower control arms, and whatever else came with the all in one kit. I have had it back to a couple of shops trying to get a clunking sound fixed. 2 of the 3 shops lubed it and sent me on my way. The last shop (which seems pretty good) thinks it is my coil springs moving on the perches and causing a "popping" sound. He suggests the spring be removed and the ends "flattened" (he thinks the after-market spring is rounded on the end and needs be grinded flat). Has anybody else had this problem and/or have any suggestions to fix. The car seems to handle good - just makes noise. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I'd make sure you have everything seated properly before you go grinding on parts. If the parts are all installed properly, there shouldn't be any problem. That is if they are all correct for the application. Making sure the coil springs seat like they are supposed to in the saddle would be my first step.

Did you have the front end aligned after all the new parts were installed? Any problems should have been discovered at that time I would think.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Frank,

The top of the spring where it mates with a rubber insulator should be ground flat. The bottom of the spring should not be ground flat but is cut square at the last coil. This square cut allows it to "seat" in the spring perch properly. There is a small tab on the spring perch for this purpose.

Have you checked your ball joints? Mine "clunk" when worn..especially the upper one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts