Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm a former foxbody fan then finaly got my hands on a 65 pony with a I6 I'm wanting to put a foxbody front sub frame on the 65 so i can just sit the 5.0 in it along with have disc brakes and power steering that also allows me to get drop spindles since i haven't found any body that makes them.

So my qstion is can the subframe go on the 65

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not sure which forum I saw it in but someone did put a foxbody front into a classic mustang. Other than the drop spindles everything you want to do can be done without changing the suspension. You don't need drop spindles to lower the car but you will need V8 spindles if you change the motor.

I opted for a Rod&Custom front and rear suspension. My 66 will have a worked 302HO with a 4R70W trans. 4 piston discs all round.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
This is the first time I have heard of a fox body front on a classic Mustang. I'd like to see a link with that build. A Mustang II front suspension is another choice for eliminating the shock towers. What kind of driving or racing do you plan to do with the car? Unless you are going for a big block or a modular engine, going through all of that trouble for a 302 sized engine seems like overkill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i dont mind doing the work on any of it i dont have much money to use on it i just have the front clip i got a rear end off a 67 stang and worked great got the spindles to but the passenger side was bent so no go for it. the whole reason for the over kill more or less is couse i went to the world of wheels yesterday and was sad over all the stock mustangs none were low or even fuel inj im just the kind that likes dif thats all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C7zz do u think it is possible to put the front end (unibody) off the foxbody on the 65?
If any one has a foxbody around anyone mind measureing it for me i have one but its hr away at the shop

·
Registered
388 Posts
its going to be some serious work. check out the guy on pro-touring doing the sn95 swap(same as a fox). you have to raise the frame rails in the front of the car several inches to make the k-member work. if you had a tubular k member you could hack it up to make it work but its still probably not going to be right. AJE makes a k member that mimics the fox chassis setup but its pricey and shares next to nothing with the fox stuff they make.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
no i dont mind doing the work on any of it i dont have much money to use on it i just have the front clip i got a rear end off a 67 stang and worked great got the spindles to but the passenger side was bent so no go for it. the whole reason for the over kill more or less is couse i went to the world of wheels yesterday and was sad over all the stock mustangs none were low or even fuel inj im just the kind that likes dif thats all
If you don't have much money to use, then don't spend it where you don't need to. A 302 and even a 351 (although it is tight), will drop right into a '65 Mustang. A 302 will have plenty of room. Replacing the entire front end of a car gets expensive. There are plenty of suspension upgrades you can do that do not require extensive cutting and welding.

The '67 rear will be a few inches wider than a stock '65 rear. I don't think the spring perches are going to line up, so they will have to be removed and welded at the correct distance and angle. I'm not sure what other people have done to keep the wheels and tires from sticking out of the fenders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
k Thx for the responds guys, guess go back to plan b, and with the 67 no the perches line right up if u can look at my album the rearend is on the car now the 2 inch dif helpd me with the wheels im running. so plan b i guess is put thee ranchero spindles and disc brakes on and go from there. im in ga we have alot of used mustang parts just cost as much as new ones so i been useing a junk (yard pull a part) thats where i got lucky to get the rear end and spindles rest of the car is trash so couldnt get anything else, if anyone needs a driver side complete spindle and hub let me kno i have bothe just pass is bent

Again thx for the responce

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just reading off a site that said for the 302 to sit in it I need put a cross member in it, I'm not sure what member they are talking about if anyone has there set up for the v8 but motor not in it mind sending me a pic of the set up.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,630 Posts
Lots of 65's came from the factory with 289's. A 302 is basically identical to a 289. There are brackets that bolt to the chassis which allow different engines to fit right in. Swap the six cylinder brackets for small block V8 brackets and motor mounts and set your 289/302/5.0/351W engine right down in the car. No messing about with subframe/crossmembers. Of course there's a lot more stuff that has to be done to get the car functional but as far as "dropping in" your 302, that's it.
Here's an auction with a good picture of the motor mount brackets I'm talking about-
1965-1970 FORD MUSTANG V8 ENGINE FRAME MOUNT BRACKETS on eBay!

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I've got a set of original brackets I'd let go for less than that. I'm going the Rod & Custom MII suspension too. No need for these now.
But as far as converting over to a Fox body, little hard since the wheel base width is about 2" (or more) wider than a '65-'66

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've got a set of original brackets I'd let go for less than that. I'm going the Rod & Custom MII suspension too. No need for these now.
But as far as converting over to a Fox body, little hard since the wheel base width is about 2" (or more) wider than a '65-'66
If you have a V8 car sell him your spindles too, he'll need to upgrade to V8 spindles.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
As mentioned above AJE sells a K member that will bolt or weld up to the early mustangs and allow you to install later model suspensions. Fatman Fabrications also sells a mac strut conversion that allows late model suspension components as well to bolt up the the early mustangs. I've considered this for a while and still don't know which way to go. Most carvers don't like mac strut stuff and believe it was a cost cutting development, not a handling improvement development.

I also have a sn95 and I measured it roughly the track width on the front is about 5 inches wider than my 67, so using the factory K member is out. And if you do section that width out, you would still have to deal with redesigning the rack and pinion to function with the narrower suspension.

The easy way out is to check out Opentracker's line of suspension improvement products!

·
Registered
35,836 Posts
I was just reading off a site that said for the 302 to sit in it I need put a cross member in it, I'm not sure what member they are talking about if anyone has there set up for the v8 but motor not in it mind sending me a pic of the set up.
Um, I would avoid that site in the future. 'Nuff said.

Here's a modification that will dramatically improve your handling for next to nothing. Well, If you also go for the sway bar and brace, you're looking at a couple hundred.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well just wanted to say thx for the help guys i kno i sound new to the 65 couse i am i just restored a 68 camaro and a 64 chevy pickup but sad thing is i could just find everything i needed for them the 65 seems little harder and cost more but again thx for the help

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
If you have a V8 car sell him your spindles too, he'll need to upgrade to V8 spindles.
I can do him better than that. I have a COMPLETE new suspension in the project. One of the older kits from the now out of business Canadian Mustang. 620 lb 1" lowered springs, Versailles spindles and all new rotors and calipers with the Mustang Steve adapters to fit the Mustang tie rods, 1" swaybar. I'm just a couple of months out from being able to pull it all off.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
well just wanted to say thx for the help guys i kno i sound new to the 65 couse i am i just restored a 68 camaro and a 64 chevy pickup but sad thing is i could just find everything i needed for them the 65 seems little harder and cost more but again thx for the help

You should be able to find just about everything to restore a Mustang. You can basically build a car from the parts catalogs.

National Parts Depot

1 - 20 of 20 Posts