Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I'd pull into my driveway in the fastback, the front end would let out a big creak. I was thinking something was binding, so at the very least a good front end checkup and lube was on the to-do list.

This past Sunday when I pulled the front wheels off I figured it out. I could see where the very outer edge of the tire was cut from rubbing the fender, and a portion of the inner fender lip was slightly bent down on the passenger side (I turn right into my driveway). On the other side I could only see where the tire had slightly rubbed the paint.

So, the creak was not suspension related at all, just tire rub for a tight turn going uphill ! Looks like I'll be rolling those repro fenders this weekend ! Dickson

·
6,854 Posts
Sounds like good news. Hope that takes care of it for you. My d/s fender lip actually got caught on my sidewall onetime. Wow! You talk about an awful noise.

The worst noise was probably about 2 weeks ago after I got my car back together. The ONLY thing I didn't do in all that work was the exhaust. I took it to a buddy to have that done. Anyway, as I was driving to Indy a couple of days later with all 3 of my boys in the back and my golf clubs in the trunk. We hit a bump and it made the most God awful grinding noise I've ever heard for about a second. Everytime we hit another bump just right it was the same. It was coming from the general area of the frame rail I just replaced...I was wondering if the car was about to come back apart.

When I finally got where I could check it out, I found that my buddy at the exhaust shop had left the driver's side flowmaster a little too far inboard. When the leaf springs were really compressed by the load plus a good bump, the spinning u-joint would clip the side of the muffler. It sounded awful! Luckily it hadn't done any damage other than cosmetic to the muffler. He fixed it for free the next day.

Phil

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have the same problem with my 67, every time I back out of my driveway, it has torn the lip off the driver side fender. Oh well, I need to replace it anyway, the PO had riveted a chunk of sheetmetal in the top and filled it with bondo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts