Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all thanks to John and Shari at Open Tracker they have been a HUGE help and have treated me great ever since day one and my first purchase was just a shelby drop template.

I had a few issues with the front end, my old brake kit did not work with the TCP rack and pinion, my first pair of adjustable strut rods did not even fit inside the newly welded in bracket, and the tie rods weren't lining up because of the granada spindles.

Overall I would say it went fairly smoothly and things have turned out great.

Front end pieces include:

OTRP Upper and Lower Control Arms
OTRP Roller perches
620 1" drop springs
Street or Track adjustable strut rods
1" Front sway bar
KYB Gas-Adjust shocks
TCP Power Rack and Pinion
Baer Tracker Bump Steer Kit
CSRP Swap 1 (Factory spindles and KH calipers)
A lot of blood and sweat and beer (yes even in the cold)

Waiting on the rest of the vehicle's body and paint before I do install the motor, transmission and rear suspension

Thanks to everybody that gave me help along the way and I am sure I will have many more questions along the restomod progress.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Looks great. Got their roller perches but gonna wait to do a full roller setup all at once.

Very jealous of lift.

Wife and I are looking to step up to a bigger house and she doesn't understand why I NEED a place on a least a half acre so I can build a big shop someday. She thinks a three car attached should be enough. Silly women. :loco:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What roller parts do you plan on installing?

That's not where I live, its actually my body guys workshop, but where I live we have 2 acre lot with 2 houses and a workshop.

Unfortunately the lawn related machinery takes up 1/4 of the workshop. We have the same lift ready to be installed, it's just a matter of doing it. I hate drilling concrete with a passion, especially big holes with a drill that doesn't have a clutch... has a tendency to get stuck and throw you to the side.

The lady of the house has learned to accept the requirement for a lot of space, but does not understand why we have a 9 second car sitting unused, and about 8 vehicles in total in one drive way.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
66Stang,
That came out really nice, you'll have to give us a write-up on how she handles.
If you don't mind me asking; What does a complete front end like yours set one back?
My guess....$3 to 4k

·
Registered
792 Posts
I plan on using the drag version of their uca and lca. Which IIRC is a quality moog part modified to have roller bearings and a sphearical bearing in the lca. I was really impressed with the quality of their perches.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will post a write up when she is finally on the road again, it will be some time though.

mjb, the front end was not very expensive if you don't take into account the power rack and pinion. I don't know exactly but probably around $1k on suspension, $625 on brakes. I put it all together, if I paid someone they probably would have charged me a days labor.

notch, I was looking at their other control arms, they look really well built. I may end up upgrading to them later down the road, but for now this will get me going a little faster.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
67 you are still light years ahead of me. your car looks great! i can't wait for the day mine is finished with body work and paint. i am very set on black with white stripes.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thanks 66, looks like you r getting there, from what i can see ur all cleaned up and ready to go. got an ETA on paint? That was the original plan for my coupe, black w white stripes, i ended up scratching the stripes and the black, well as u can see from the pic above it didn't really turn out black. the color is black cherry and was actually the color black in the color book but this is what it came out as, when we did the jams i liked it so much i kept it! ur car is gunna look great btw, keep the pics coming

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe a few months. Two months if I am lucky. Rear quarters need to be replaced. Other than that it is just prepping for the body work. Some filler on the roof and a bunch of sanding.

Under body should be painted soon, so I can install the trans drive shaft and rear end along with the rear suspension. That means I can install the fuel tank and probably run all the wiring through the car. I can't justify spending $200 on the painless power braid so I am looking for cheaper alternatives. Open to suggestions.

·
Registered
836 Posts
for your sake i hope its sooner than later, sounds like ur moving along at a pretty good rate, should be on the road in no time! for my wiring i used regular nylon braided sleeving, cost about $70 total and i did every last inch of wire in that car. I don't even really like the power braid stuff, it looks cheap and half a$$ IMO and its 3 times as much? the only problem with the regular stuff is you have to disconnect a lot of the connectors to get the braid on(this will obviously not work with most of the stock harness, u using a painless or AAW?) and also open up the braiding and fish out wires that break off from the bundle, took me a lot of time but man is it clean looking. I did a thread a little while back on my installation the American Autowire Harness
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/623744-aaw-classic-update-installation-lots-pics.html
Might give you some ideas. If ur doing a painless or AAW install and want to how much and of what size i used for my install shoot me a pm and i'll dig out my order form. here is where i bought it from
Nylon Expandable Braided Sleeving for Cables and Hoses

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am using painless, I like the look of the product and the quality of the instructions so far. They make it easy for people that are not experienced. My multimeter will be hanging from my belt the whole time I think :)

Will shoot you a pm.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts