Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When making left turns, I get a cracking/clacking type sound from the front passenger side of my vert. I have had 2 mechanics look at it and replace various items, but the noise is still there. The sound is especially loud on slow turns like into steep driveways, etc, but is still audible on the faster turns as well.
Here are the items that have been repaired or replaced so far, if that helps. (these are from the shop invoices, so some of the terms don't make sense to me.)
1 inch drop springs
strut rod bushings
repair strut rod a frame member (was bent)
power steering box
alignment

Now, I need help on where to look or have looked at next. Also suggestions on what should have been replaced with the above.

The car tracks straight with no pulling, just the cracking/clackin noise. ::

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Noises are very tough to find at times.I would raise it up on a hoist and inspect the upper control arm bushings and both ball joints and wheel bearings.This should have been done before the alignment.Is there any chance your tires or something else could be rubbing?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with jawstang.Check the upper and lower control arms and ball joints.Also check the idler arm. :eek:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
my car made similar noise and it was the ball joint.

G

·
I had a clackin noise that woud only occur going down steep ramps in parking garages. Turned out my new polyurethane rag joint was split on one side. A new solid Grade 8 mount fixed that.

G

·
Also pull off your tie rods and make sure their connection holes aren't ovaled. On the centerlink and on the spindles. A driveway could push enough the right way to get them to shift either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts