Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 coupe 200I6. I have done the granada disc brake swap and upgraded to the 620 coil springs along with new upper and lower V8 control arms, ball joints, end links and all new midoline bushings. I have just finished a 5.0 engine that I plan to put in this car. A nearby restorer recently told me that the front end of the six cylinder cars is a lot weaker than the V8 cars. Anyone know if there is any truth to this. Should I sell the I6 car and find a V8 car. The body is in really good shape, so I would like to keep the car I have and finish the V8 swap.
What do you think?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sounds to me like you've replaced the 6 cyl front end.... It'd be a shame to turn back now!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
This list probably isn't complete, but:

The Spindles are the weak point. I've seen an image of a broken 6 cylinder spindle, because someone put in a V8 in it. You have replaced those with granada spindles, so you're ok there.

The steering components are not the same on the 65/66. On my 68, they are the same regardless of originally 6 or 8 cylinder. So when I did the swap, I didn't have to replace steering stuff, except for the tie rod ends (because of the granada spindles, not because of a weak/strong thing).

You can use a parts catalog as a loose guide. Bascially, if you see a front end or steering components that is different between a 6 or 8 cylinder, then .. it usually means that there is a weaker 6 cyl version out there.

If you change your spindles and steering components on your 65/66 , then I think you're good. (and of course the heavier springs).

·
Administrator
19,296 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "front end". If you mean the basic frame/unibody of the car, no. They are the same as far as I know. The V8 upgrades are bolt on parts, which it sounds like you have already done.
If you have doubts, you can add a pair of retrofit torque boxes, export brace, the "Boss 302 shock tower reinforcement kit", subframe connectors, etc...all attachable parts.
At that point, not only will your car handle the V8, you can start looking at superchargers, NOS, or some track time.
People have been happily swapping V8's into 6 cylinder cars for years and somehow have all failed to mention any inherent weakness in the basic car just because it came off the production line as a six cylinder model. Or at least I never heard about it.
If anyone knows of anything please let me know as I am happily putting a 351W into a 67 six cylinder car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts