Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did the shelby 1" drop on my 65 coupe, my question is what springs should i use? i put the stock springs back on and scratched up my tires the other day when i hit a nice size hole in the road. i like the slope i have with the new springs in the rear, but i spent good money on my tires.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Elaborate a little more on the "scratched up tires".
Where did you scratch them? What scratched the tires, part of the car/suspension?
I've done the Global West drop, used a shorter (but a little stiffer) spring with no problems at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THEY HIT THE METAL AROUND THE WHEEL WELL WHERE IT TURNS BACK INTO THE TIRE AREA. I HOPE THIS MAKES SENCE TO U

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
What Tires/Wheels are you running and with what backspacing?

·
Registered
586 Posts
is your fenderlip rolled?

Preston
Future NASCAR Chevy Killer & The Lord of the Dance

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I think what everybody's getting at without saying it is that you have an interference problem, and springs will not cure it. A higher rate spring will cut down on the number of times the tires hit the fenders, because over any given bump they will prevent the suspension from compressing as deeply as a lighter spring will allow. But the interference will still be there. The only cure is to roll the fender lip or get some different rims and/or tires.

Anyway, I used the Eibach progressive springs on both my kids' 65 fb and my '70 Cougar. I like them alot. You should also get some good shocks. KYB Gas-A-Justs are good if you don't mind stiffness, and Koni's are the best if you've got $400 in your budget for shocks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had the same problem when I first did it. I was using the 600 lb 1" drop springs. First I tried the 1" poly bushings but it didn't help much. I then went to springs rated for a '67 with a 390 and air conditioning and cut 1 full coil to get the ride hieght back where I wanted it.

Your alignment is done with the weight on the suspension so your settings will change with a slight modification in ride height. With the uca's dropped you gain negative camber as the wheel moves up. If your ride hieght is a little higher when the alignment is done, then when the wheel is moved up to where it would be at a lower ride height it will have more negative camber and possably not rub.

Make sure the alignment is not done to stock mustang numbers. Try for 1 deg. neg. camber 2 deg. pos. caster and 1/8" toe in.

If your alignment is right then I'd look at wheel backspacing and tire size before a body modification.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts