Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, 3 years ago I rebuilt the front end on a 1969 British Land Rover but, I have no clue as to what components in the '66 GT Coupe front end are typically worn out. I am leaning toward going to go with poly bushings. The car has been off the road since '86 and the rubber pieces look pretty bad.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seems like most people recommend two options. First is piecemeal: visually inspect, diagnose any handling symptoms, then replace only those parts necessary. Problem is that it's sometimes difficult to diagnose which parts are worst because they're all worn somewhat. And it's hard to tell by just poking around what's really worn.

Most folks here would recommend a complete rebuild. There are plenty of kits available with everything you need for steering and suspension, such as from Mustangs Unlimited.

Questions: How much $$ do you want to invest? Is this a restoration? Restomod? Daily driver? How many miles on the car?

'67 cpe, daily driver

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Anything rubber, if original, is worn out! I'm not a poly fan for every component, because it's stiff, hard, and non-compliant. But some folks swear by it. While it does wonders making a front suspension feel like it's welded together, the down side is a ride that some might classify as brutal. I'd use poly on the sway bar end links, but stick with the conventional rubber bushings for the strut rods. You will want to inspect the upper ball joints for out of limits wear. While the lower ball joints rarely go bad, I'd replace them (the whole lower arm has to be replaced), because the small end has a rubber bushing which wears out. Check the upper A arm pivot shafts also. They self destuct over the years as there was no factory provision to grease the darn things. Be critical of both the inner and outer tie rod ends (no slop allowed there) as well as the idler arm bushing for loosness. The best rubber bushings in the world can't do a thing for you if these parts are history. One last thing to replace will be the coil spring saddle assemblies. They really take a beating over time.

65 Hi-Po F/B (7 yr resto)
67 GTA F/B (small block) Mustang Owners Club of Austin (MOCA), TX
MCA 27479
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575609&a=11978710&p=43914197.jpg<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by charlie65_67 on 03/22/01 08:34 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Hey John- Good to see you're out there alive and kickin' and contemplating spending more money on the 66. Sounds like you sold the LR.

My recomendation - a Canadian Mustang 'Midolyne' kit. Unless you're going concours, no need to rebuild your old control arms, either. Just get the new ones with the bushings already installed.

Some would argue that Poly is the way to go, but take my word for it (having done 2 cars with PST Poly Kits), it's harsh, it squeaks, and it'll break your strut rods if you drive hard.

Midolyne is a great compromise between soft rubber and hard poly. It is available at a discount from Laurel Mtn Mustang or you can buy it directly from CM themselves. Some people have had a couple of problems with LMM - I have not. Good stuff and good service in my experience.

BTW- Let's stay in touch as June approaches and the Steamboat event gets close. I may or may not have the fastback ready - but I will be driving up with the club in any event. You should come, too.

Take it easy.

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi, do yourself a favor, rebuild the entire front end at once buy the kit!!! it is cheaper in the long run I rebuilt mine in pieces and by the time I was done I had replaced everything in it anyway. LOL is is easier to do it all at once than to have to go back and take it apart to put something else in. John

Opal frost pearl metallic 67 coupe http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/febef75b01.JPG
also have a 95 opal frost pearl G/T BOSS edition convertible belongs to swmbo

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
i was going to clean up all my parts and reuse them until i looked at them in detail - immediately called Canadian Mustang and ordered a total front and rear suspension, handling, and steering kit (their "BIG KIT") for $955. Mustangs Plus had same kit with poly for $990 (both include shipping) - my advantage with Canadian Mustang is no sales tax (8 %) here in maxtax NY State and Milodkyne which i have heard no negative remarks on the forum for over 1.5 yrs. Had no troubles with Canadian Mustangs but they are not particularly freindlly. about ready to install now that temperature is above 20 F. Another advantage is in detailing underside of car with all stuff removed it is easy to wirebrush, rust inhibit, and paint - my job outline for spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts