Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Fastback
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
the body of my 65 Fastback is sitting quite high above the front wheel. It looks strange, so would like to lower it an inch or so.
The front suspension is set up with a TCP upper control arms, non adjustable Bistein shocks, unknown brand coil springs. The upper control arm is lowered (Shelby drop), so I would expect the car to sit a lot lower than it does.
I bought the car with this set up.

What would be the most likely cause? The shocks or perhaps the coil springs?

Update: I just lifted the front of the car (on the frame). When lowered again, it took several minutes for the front to reach its "normal" position. Seems the suspension is extremely stiff and doesn't return to its neutral spot easily. Does not seem normal to me. This effect would rule out the coil springs I reckon?

Regards,
PieterFastback

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
It's the springs. Most find cutting a half coil off the "open end" of them to be just about right. Uh, before you do that maybe you should tell us what size tires are on there. Too big and they may rub.

·
Registered
65 Fastback
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the springs. Most find cutting a half coil off the "open end" of them to be just about right. Uh, before you do that maybe you should tell us what size tires are on there. Too big and they may rub.
The tires are: 225/50 R16. The fact that the body takes some time to lower into its normal position after lifting, could that mean something is too tight?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Is the front too high or is the rear to low?

As the rear sinks, the front end lifts and vice-versa.

·
Registered
65 Fastback
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where it sits after being driven is when to measure/judge it. What size wheels and backspace (or offset)?
Ah o.k. makes sense. Wheels are 16"x8". I'm not sure how i can measure the backspace/offset.

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
It can't be stressed enough to measure ride height after driving the car. There are dynamic forces involved you simply cannot duplicate any better way.

·
Registered
65 Fastback
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, based on that style of wheel they're most likely 4.5" back space which is fine. Yup, I'd cut a half coil off 'em and see how that looks.
OK, thanks for the advice 4ocious!

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
My calibrated eyeballs tell me you have either new reverse eye springs or worn out originals. :)
Loosen the LCA pivot and see if it drops.

·
Registered
65 Fastback
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My calibrated eyeballs tell me you have either new reverse eye springs or worn out originals. :)
Loosen the LCA pivot and see if it drops.
Your calibrated eyeballs work well! The leaf springs are the mid-eye version, I think from TCP, so this would have lowered the rear by 1 inch. With this knowledge, what would be the best approach to get the front down, install shorter coil springs in front as suggested above?
Thanks for the insight!

·
Premium Member
10,323 Posts
If you decide to cut the front springs be sure to use an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel in it to do the cutting. Do not use an acetylene cutting torch. The heat from the torch will change the spring's temper. And cut on the lower end that sits in the spring perch.
After you make the cut drive the car several miles to allow the suspension to settle before cutting any more. As you have learned, jacking the car up and letting it back down does not allow the suspension to settle like driving it does.

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
...what would be the best approach to get the front down, install shorter coil springs in front as suggested above?
Or cut them down. Chances are if you get new springs you'll be cutting them down too. "And the only thing that changes a car's ride height is the springs". -Mike Eaton of Eaton Detroit Spring interview in MUSTANG MONTHLY, April, 2010. At any rate (a fitting pun), your front coils are coming out even if only to cut them or replace them. Is this something you would do yourself? There are important things to know about safety and procedure undertaking this.

·
Registered
65 Fastback
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input guys, now I know why my nose is lifted and what I can do to lower it, great Forum this!

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
i need a fine tune the way i judge then. looks a lot lower to me than mids.
The LCA might have been tightened with the tires drooping, loosen the LCA and bounce it several times, I might even drive around the block to make sure any bind was released then tighten with the weight of the car on the ground, be sure and drive some miles before chopping anything
Consider that when they were new they had a slight nose high attitude though, in case anyone mentions it:)

·
Registered
65 Fastback
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
i need a fine tune the way i judge then. looks a lot lower to me than mids.
The LCA might have been tightened with the tires drooping, loosen the LCA and bounce it several times, I might even drive around the block to make sure any bind was released then tighten with the weight of the car on the ground, be sure and drive some miles before chopping anything
Consider that when they were new they had a slight nose high attitude though, in case anyone mentions it:)
ok, will do, thanks for the heads up.

·
Dimples
3,855 Posts
I agree with the half-coil cut on the front. That should do it.

Also, it is normal for it to take a while to settle after being lifted. As mentioned above, even then, driving it some will land you with your final level. If you think about it, when you lift the front, the tires droop and when you set it back down, the tires contact the ground at an angle, and are therefore cambered in. That right there is going to effect the stance. Rolling it some will rectify this.

·
Registered
65 Fastback
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with the half-coil cut on the front. That should do it.

Also, it is normal for it to take a while to settle after being lifted. As mentioned above, even then, driving it some will land you with your final level. If you think about it, when you lift the front, the tires droop and when you set it back down, the tires contact the ground at an angle, and are therefore cambered in. That right there is going to effect the stance. Rolling it some will rectify this.
It's nice to be able to pick up on so much info through this site. Having ridden motorcycles mostly in the previous 30 years, my mechanical experience is not always directly useful for cars.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts