Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would pump the brakes on cutting the coils an take a step back and review the work that has been done. Take the wheels off and post some pictures and measurements of the coil to see if it is the correct one or if something else could me not fit for you car. I would order new springs rather and cutting them but that is just what I would do...good luck and nice car!

·
Registered
31 Posts
also.....with the fact that is took so long to get back to its natural rest it may be that you have poly bushings on the control arms that were put to full torque while the front end was suspended....driving can sort this but polyurethane is some tough stuff. I would hang the front end and loosen the control arm bolts and drop the car,
retorque and drive.

·
Registered
65 Fastback
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
also.....with the fact that is took so long to get back to its natural rest it may be that you have poly bushings on the control arms that were put to full torque while the front end was suspended....driving can sort this but polyurethane is some tough stuff. I would hang the front end and loosen the control arm bolts and drop the car,
retorque and drive.
Tom, before I do anything with the coil springs, I will first loosen the control arms and see where she ends up after settling and then retorque. Perhaps that is enough.

·
Registered
65 Fastback
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update: I just loosened the lower control arms and drove around a bit. No change in body height.
I will probably reduce the coil spring length eventually. I can go down an inch, much more and my deep oil pan might cause a problem.

·
Registered
65 Fastback
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Imagine how much higher they would sit today with new original stock springs if original parts were replaced with light weight aluminum heads, intake, headers, and fiberglass hoods, etc.
Oh, wait. You may not need to. :)
Thats exactly what I have except for the fiberglass hood. Also my battery has been relocated to the trunk, so I'm a lot lighter in the front than original. I do have some more cooling liquid and oil than original :)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts