Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 67 convertible. I rebuilt the entire front end, everything, period. I used Eibach progressive rate front coil springs. I've done other front ends and never had this problem. The car slants/tilts toward the drivers side about 1 inch possibly 1.5 inches. SO, the drivers wheelwell is much lower/closer to the tire than the passenger front wheel well. The tires appear to be "coming out" from under the wheelwells about the same. It just tilts more toward the drivers side. What could cause this? I am assuming that the new coil springs are not defective. They are both seated well in the perches, so I am kinda baffled. I am praying thaaat it's not a bent frame. I doubt that since the car wasn't wrecked. I might bring it to an alignment shop this week and let them "tinker" with it, but I hate to let them touch it. The shops around here don't have anyone that really knows old cars. What do you guys think?????????

·
Registered
670 Posts
Take this car to a good bodyshop NOW.Put it on a frame machine and measure.It will cost a little butttttt you will stop guessing and KNOW.Good luck!!!!!!! SCOTT 936-756-2535

·
Registered
952 Posts
I had this problem after a rebuild. Here are my ????'s

1. Was it like this before the rebuild?
2. Check the springs at the top of the insulator. Mine spun on my when I did mine and forced the body on that side up about 1/2 of an inch.
3. Are you sure the springs were the same height? I know this is a duh but sheet happens.
4. Is the rear level? If its not then it may be time for rear springs. One bad one will lift the opposite end.
5. Did you tighten the alignment cams while the front end was up in the air or on the ground? They should be loose then tightened when the front settles.

These things should get you to were you want to be. Good luck. If the above doesn't work then get to a good frame shop and have them check the shock towers to ensure they are not collapsing. Mine was doing that too so for $100 they pulled them back into specs and put a bead weld around them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rear springs are new. replaced them when I did the front. Back is evenexcept for very slight tilt related to front. I don't remember if I tightened the front cams in the air or on the ground. Didn't know that could matter. I don't remember if I checked the two spring height when I installed them but they are brand new from eihbach, so I wouldn't expect a problem. Basically, ya'll are saying everything I thought of. I guess I'll take it to a frame/alignment shop for an opinion. Definetely need to check those tops of the springs to be sure the insulators didn't shift. thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the same problem with my 1970 Sportsroof. I put it up on my hoist, putting the pads between the firewall and the front of the rear spring perches. I measured to the shop floor( which I know to be pretty level ) and my rear measurements to the floor were within 1/8". When I measured the front frame horns, I had over 1"more on the right front than the left front to the shop floor.
After some scraping and wire brushing, I discovered some deep gouges in the bottom of the right front frame horn. Sometime in the last 33 years the car had been run up onto something,( rock,stump?) and pushed the frame horn up.
I took my 12 ton jack and a home made fixture and pulled it back down. The car sits level now.
Howard ::

1 - 5 of 5 Posts