Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have '65 Conv and wanting to upgrade to a good driver for the wife. Asking opinions on what to do with the front end to make it very drivable on a daily basis.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Disc brakes are a big plus if it doesn't have them. OE type is still great, many other mods to choose from, but in any case a dual-chamber reservoir adds a margin of safety. For suspension, stock still rocks. Nice tight Moog components like ball joints in the upper and lower control arms, tie rod ends, idler arm and centerlink, a smooth and tight steering box (power steering is a favorite with the ladies) rebuilt by @CHOCK at Chockostang with quality shocks like Bilstein, Koni etc. and good bushings (I recommend polyurethane, some like Delryn) and a 1 inch away bar, an export brace, and maybe a Monte Carlo bar can make a classic Mustang much better than new without breaking the bank. Opentracker.com is a great source.
Total Control Products and some others are a great source of coil over kits for a greater budget. Mustang II type rack and pinion kits involve a lot of fabrication and sacrifice turning radius.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Building my 66 for my mother and step-father. They are old and wanted some modern conveniences. I ended up with the following.

Power front Disc upgrade
Arning drop
New control arms
Roller perches
Bilstein Shocks
Borgeson Power Steering conversion
Classic Air AC system
Export Brace
Monte Carlo Bar
Global West Sub Frame Connectors

Car rides great and my mother loves the ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disc brakes are a big plus if it doesn't have them. OE type is still great, many other mods to choose from, but in any case a dual-chamber reservoir adds a margin of safety. For suspension, stock still rocks. Nice tight Moog components like ball joints in the upper and lower control arms, tie rod ends, idler arm and centerlink, a smooth and tight steering box (power steering is a favorite with the ladies) rebuilt by @CHOCK at Chockostang with quality shocks like Bilstein, Koni etc. and good bushings (I recommend polyurethane, some like Delryn) and a 1 inch away bar, an export brace, and maybe a Monte Carlo bar can make a classic Mustang much better than new without breaking the bank. Opentracker.com is a great source.
Total Control Products and some others are a great source of coil over kits for a greater budget. Mustang II type rack and pinion kits involve a lot of fabrication and sacrifice turning radius.
Great info... I do have disc but non-power.. That I need to change for sure.. Takes a pretty hard push to slow it down... Thanks much for this help.. just getting started so I will be back..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Building my 66 for my mother and step-father. They are old and wanted some modern conveniences. I ended up with the following.

Power front Disc upgrade
Arning drop
New control arms
Roller perches
Bilstein Shocks
Classic Air AC system
Export Brace
Monte Carlo Bar

Sounds like great ride.. Thanks for the info.. Now I just need to sort out what I want to do...(y)

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I have '65 Conv and wanting to upgrade to a good driver for the wife. Asking opinions on what to do with the front end to make it very drivable on a daily basis.

Thanks in advance
What's your budget?

At a minimum
1" Sway bar
Moog Upper and lower control arms, and steering components
Shelby/Arnng Drop
Export Brace,
Monte Carlo Bar
KYG, Koni, or Bilstein Shocks
If you want to upgrade to PS and front discs contact Dan at Chockostang
Springs Depending if you want improved handling or standard.

Then there are a bunch of other things you can do depending on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
388 Posts

Power front Disc upgrade
Arning drop
New control arms
Roller perches
Bilstein Shocks
Classic Air AC system
Export Brace
Monte Carlo Bar

Did the same minus the subframe connectors and the power disk, I have non power disks. Ride is great. No body roll. Little bumpy on the rough roads but that may be the progressive springs I have. may need to swap them out.

·
Registered
33,824 Posts
Well, over the course of '65-73 there were a few million Mustangs that were "driveable on a daily basis" by women... heck, the "original" Mustang was a "Secretary's Car". All you really need to do is check and replace any worn suspension components with quality (Moog) replacements, maintain properly (regular lubrication) and that's about it. For the "spirited" driver, the "Arning Drop" is free and effective at improving the camber curve and keeping the tire tread in contact with the ground longer, and decent tires and shocks help with the ride and handling.

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
Great info... I do have disc but non-power.. That I need to change for sure.. Takes a pretty hard push to slow it down... Thanks much for this help.. just getting started so I will be back..
It really shouldn't.Maybe you have the wrong master cylinder ?
Look at and talk to (in no particular order)
They won't steer you wrong ,,,see what I did there :geek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts