Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remove the fender bolts along the top of the apron will it give me enough slack to pull the fender out 1/4" or so to lay a tape line to spray the engine bay without getting paint on the fender?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You should have 4 bolts in the front and two on the sided. Undo all of them and slide the front bumper off. I just pulled mine off a few hours ago, very simple.

The two bolts on the side can be a bit tough to get to.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If I remove the fender bolts along the top of the apron will it give me enough slack to pull the fender out 1/4" or so to lay a tape line to spray the engine bay without getting paint on the fender?
Yes, you should be able to move the fenders enough to get your tape line.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I think it would allow you enough to wedge the fender up some, slide the tape sticky side up, under the fender and start back taping it well enough. Better than not trying that at all. I have seen quite a few threads on here about prepping and painting the engine bay with or without the engine in there, the hood on the car, etc. Its an easy project to plan and try to accomplish over a long weekend and done with care and patience and thought, the end result can be quite good!

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Long weekend HA-HA-HA

I Just finished day four of bed liner removal in the engine bay.

Im hoping one more day to have it out. Ive got the apron areas behind the shock towers and the firewall behind the booster to go. Im not getting it 100%, to do that level of detail I would need to remove the hinges and the electrical for the heater and transmission. I dont want to fool with those high on the firewall plugs.

The booster comes out tomorrow.

Then sanding, more sanding and a bit more sanding.

I have some surface rust and some pitted areas that Im using Ospho on, then those areas will have to be wire brushed before priming.

I figure 3-4 more days to have the engine bay painted and then I score it a 7 out of 10.

Theres a really crappy repair under the battery tray and the core support in front of the battery should be replaced. There are mystery holes, those are getting plugs, and other than that the bay is in really nice condition.

New booster, master, SD export brace, monte carlo bar, detailed engine, new radiator and all the trimmings, so Im hoping the so-so bay paint job will blend into the background.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts