Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to get these to line up on repo fenders and been playing with them for hours. Enlarging holes to try to get a good fit all around. But when tightening them up they draw in and not aligning and starting over. Wish they were not pot metal - would just line up and weld to fender. Any tips on aligning them would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
There moving around because the fender edge is not flat. The overlapping fender metal to the bucket.. grind,hammer test fit..Yea I know PIA...who’s fenders?

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,355 Posts
I still have the original fenders on my car but after painting they didn't seem to line up so I bought these rubber trim strips on one of the Mustang sites. II put them on at first to protect the new paint. Then I decided to leave them on. I had them on the rear extensions too but removed them. Zoom in on the front fender, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Check this out....hopefully it helps

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I (and several other here) have had to do some massaging to get them lined up properly. And I am not just talking about repops: the factory units didn't always line up all that well. My fenders and fender extensions are all original. They now line up much better than they did when they left the factory.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
My originals werent quite perfect either. the worst was the top flat edge. A few whacks downward on the fender and easy taps upward on the inside of the housing. Consider there are 3-4 points that really matter or standout like the pointed part and near the hood, get most of them right and the others are hardly noticeable:)

I still have the original fenders on my car but after painting they didn't seem to line up so I bought these rubber trim strips on one of the Mustang sites. II put them on at first to protect the new paint. Then I decided to leave them on. I had them on the rear extensions too but removed them. Zoom in on the front fender, you'll see what I'm talking about.
OMG, Thats where those go?
Is that the same piece that go on the inside, unseen, in the rear extensions? I bought some for the rear and listing said "front or rear" so I bought two sets and never figured out the fronts.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Am I wrong saying there is no ‘rubber” between the front bucket and the fender on 65/66?
Although they fit real nice on the rear extensions..

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,355 Posts
My originals werent quite perfect either. the worst was the top flat edge. A few whacks downward on the fender and easy taps upward on the inside of the housing. Consider there are 3-4 points that really matter or standout like the pointed part and near the hood, get most of them right and the others are hardly noticeable:)

OMG, Thats where those go?
Is that the same piece that go on the inside, unseen, in the rear extensions? I bought some for the rear and listing said "front or rear" so I bought two sets and never figured out the fronts.
I believe they are. I never figured out how they were supposed to fit either to be invisible.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
It's helpful to post the year of the car because they are not all exactly the same. My 70 has gaskets for both the front and rear extensions and they are important for several reasons. They will help align the extension in the right position and keep paint from chipping. They don't seem to be listed for the front of 65s and 66s. They are one of the cheapest parts of the car...
Buy Mustang Fender & Quarter Extension Seals Online | Mustangs Plus - Buy Mustang Parts Online

·
Registered
821 Posts
I spent a lot of time getting a good fit on mine on my '66, and I had several pairs of fender extensions to choose from.
I took a large flat file to the rear of the extension to get it flat, and then used Lab-metal to fill in any low areas on the rear of the extension.
After much trial and error fitting, I got a nice, flat fit against the fender.
I also used some Lab-metal on the outside of the extension to get it to blend in with the fender better.
They aren't perfect, but compared to the original fir, they are now.
Just take your time and fit, remove, fit,remove, etc. It's not difficult, and the finished product is worth it. Lots of satisfaction in this job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts