Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is not short, so forgive me, but I want to be complete, in order to get yall's best info/opinions. I bought a car (67 fastback) that was probably 75% finished - it had been repainted and a really good job done on body. I inspected the car, but in fairness though, I did not go around and measure all the hood gaps, but it looked good - nothing stood out. I had Dallas Mustang install a new front fender brace system from Total Control. Again everything looks fine. I took the car to an interior guy who installed new seats, which necessitated cutting out the old seat risers. He installed (welded) new, lower braces that appear more substantial than the original ones that he cut out. I picked the car up and the hood has shifted up at the hood-brace by the driver and the front fender and hood touch (barely) at the grill on the driver side, but enough to have chipped the paint on the hood. Movement was in the millimeters, but it was clearly visible. There was also now a large and uneven gap between hood and cowl. :sick: I saw none of this when I bought the car, when I took it to Dallas Mustang, or when I took it to upholstry shop. So if timing is the issue, I saw it for the first time after the new seats were in. Seems to me this could be caused by only three things (1) Total Control system was installed too tightly (or maybe too loosly), and it (gradually) twisted car out of plumb (2) car "settled" while the seat risers were out and before new braces were welded in, or (3) previous owner did not do a good job of lining car up and tightening everything down, so it "settled" while work was being done. Or perhaps (4) some combination of above. Any opinions on how this happened? I have sent car to a body shop and the car is now straight again, with even gaps etc., so the issue is really for my education. Thanks guys. :: river

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
My guess :
The shock towers had collapsed inward as most mustangs do and when the new brace was installed it shoved the towers back out , which in turn moves the aprons that hold the hood hinges . End result : hood out of alignment .

·
Registered
933 Posts
Anytime structural steel is removed from these cars, measurements (including cross measurements) should be taken prior to any cutting to ensure that the car remains in its original position. My guess is that some movement/relaxation took place and remained when the new components were added resulting in your problem. You are fortunate that your car has a roof, if this were done on a convertible, the problem would have been much worse.

Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts